Power Windows

Hey Group;

I have a 1999 Explorer and face my first problem. The passenger side rear power window will not move. Thank God it was closed when it quit, it looks like we're going to get a hurricane here this week!

Anyway, I figured that since the other windows still work, the fuse is OK.

Is this a common problem with Explorers? What is the best procedure for isolating and correcting the problem? I'm pretty handy at taking things apart (notice I didn't say putting things back together) and I have done a lot of non automotive electrical and electronic work.

I apologize if this question is a FAQ. Please direct me to the source if so.

I haven't been frequenting this group since my killer tires were replaced.

Regards,

Stephen Saunders, KD6EUT

Reply to
Stephen Saunders

Stephen.... at this point in time, all we are sure of is that the window will not roll down. Here's what we need you to do......

With the key in run but the engine not running, have the drivers door open. Watching the interior light, move the affected switch to the "down" position. Did the interior light dim a little...... yes = regulator or run channel problem, no = something else. Watching the interior light, move the switch to the "up" position. Did the interior light dim a little..... yes = window motor is OK and the problem is switch or wiring related. BTW, you have tried the window from both the rear door switch and the drivers window switch?

Let us know what you find and I can expound on the subject a little later when time permits....

Jim Warman

Ermmmm, the subject line may say power windows...... the message text, however, states right rear window. Missed the toes altogether 8^)

Jim Warman