power windows

93 explorer Front driver's side window not working properly. When raising or lowering the window, I can hear the motor but also hear a clicking noise like a gear might be slipping, and I have to use my hand to help raise or lower the window. any suggestions? thanx

Check out this site

It has a lot of good info of Explorers of that vintage. It does have a section on the power windows.

Charlie '92 187000 miles and counting

Reply to
Charlie Bress

I am certainly not an expert on this subject...but it sounds like the regulator is shot. My friend just had a similar experience and I didn't even know that the lifting and closing mechanism was called a regulator. These are expensive to buy locally, but if you do a search on e-bay, you should be able to purchase one for about $80.00.

HTH, Al in Poughkeepsie

Reply to
Alan E. Seelbach

Probably not the regulator. In the motor there are three plastic pieces that drive a gear. This wonderful design is a failure ready to happen. The plastic deteriorates and crumbles. If you can find a rebuilt motor at the right price that is the easiest way out. I have disassembled all four of mine over the years and replace the plastic parts. I would avoid the ones from a junk yard. If they are the same age they may also be ready to fail.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Hi, I have read your reply to Alan about his power windows and noticed that you are someone who has performed the maintenance to his windows so if you do not mind I would like to ask you a couple of questions. I have a 94 explorer and have taken the door skin off of one of my doors to see how hard it is to perform the repair via the explorer maintenance website. I see that I have to drill out the pop rivets in order to get the motor out. What do I put in once I have replaced the plastic pieces ? I mean now since the pop rivets are drilled out do I use screws and nuts with lock washers to secure everything back?? I really look forward to hearing you experience because I have 3 windows now that desperately need the repair and will do so once I have a full understanding of the process. Thanks, Sam Cederas Raleigh, N.C.

Reply to
Sam

Whenever I worked on one of my door locks, I had to drill out a pop rivit. The replacement pop rivit was too big for a standard pop rivit gun, it required a much larger gun than the ones usually sold in lowes or auto parts stores. I ended up finding a plastic push rivit that I used to hold the door lock power actuator in place. I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I though the information might be useful.

Reply to
Captain Coleman

Yes it is helpfull. You shared your experience and that carries a lot of weight in my book. Thank you.

I had mine disassembled several weeks ago on a day when it was 98 degrees and humid. It was not a good day to be doing a project that requires patience and somewhat comfortable working conditions so I buttoned it all back up for another day. Now one of the windows falls down about a quarter inch from the top while going down the road and the others are showing the signs. The weather is a little cooler now and I hope to do it soon.

Thanks again for your info.

Sam in Raleigh.

BTW, anyone else want to share their experience with repairing their power windows? It is appreciated !!

Reply to
Sam

Figuring on having to do it again some time in the future, I just used nuts, bolts and lock washers.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Curious.....I just replaced the plastic piece you are talking about in one of my windows today which fixed the problem...doing the rest this week.

How long ago was it that you did the same to yours? Just wondering if any of yours have failed again...I mean has any of the plastic pieces crumbled to pieces yet?

Also the only place I put grease was on the gear itself and at the end of the shaft the armature sits on. Wondering if grease is supposed to be on the 3 plastic pieces.

Sam in Raleigh.

Reply to
Sam

What I used was plastic from a plastic cutting board. I am not sure what the material was, but it is more resilient than the stuff that is used in the windows. When the first window failed, I bought after market from a place I found online. I am basing my comparison on those replacement parts. None of my homemade parts have failed. All of my original parts failed.

Charlie (92 with over 180,000)

Reply to
Charlie Bress