Procedure to replace inlet manifold o ring on 99 explorer 4.0l SOHC ?

Reading through many posts I have come to the conclusion that this gasket/o ring is bad in my wifes car. When it is cold the car revs up when started and then dies to almost a stall, then revs back up then back to just above a stall. I have cleaned the IAC and that does not seem to make a difference.... Does anybody have a procedure and perhaps a part number for the gasket replacement? Thanks for any help Gary

Reply to
KTM

This is not a small project for the budding DIYer. Check your local library for a service manual or purchase one (usually a pretty good investment). If you have a digital camera, take lots of pictures during the disassembly process. Lay the bolts out neatly in the order you remove them and work methodically rather than jumping from task to task.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jim - I appreciate the answer, but I do have experience in engine repair - albeit with 4 stroke motorcycles. Has anybody recently done this repair and could they possibly post an overview or things to look out for. Thanks Gary

Reply to
KTM

It really isn't that difficult of a procedure if you have a service manual. The hardest part is reaching the back 2 torx style bolts that hold the upper manifold to the lower manifold. There are 8 of these torx bolts that hold the upper and lower intake manifold together, and there is a specific sequence of tightening these bolts. The problem may not be the lower intake manifold o-rings but a leak between the upper and lower intake manifold. When I replaced my lower intake o-rings, the bolts holding the lower manifold to the block were tight, probably torqued to spec, but I noticed that some of the 8 torx bolts holding the upper manifold to the lower manifold were loose when removing the upper manifold. I'd check torque of these 8 bolts before replacing the lower o-rings since its a relatively an easy task rather than spending 2 to 4 hours changing out the o-rings. Good luck Jay

Reply to
Xx