Pull a trailer

First, excuse my English... i'm not really fluent!!!

So, I would like to have an information about the explorer trailing capability (2003 Eddie Bauer 4WD): The seller told me that it is possible to pull a 5000 lbs trailer with the 3.55 axle ratio. I just have to put a class III/IV hitch and a transmission cooler. Is that right?

I know that it would be easier to pull with the towing package (cooler, class III/IV and 3.73ls axle ratio) but i can't find any used explorer with this package!

So is it possible for me to pull my 4500 lbs travel trailer with a

3.55 (i have a Weight Distribution too)?

Thank you very much for your help.

Philippe

Reply to
pclanet

Yes. If you have Air Conditioning or High-Capacity Cooling system (double core radiator) then you probably already have a transmission oil cooler.

Does the 2003 EB have the V8 or V6? If it has the V6, then you will be really pushing it with a 4500 lbs. travel trailer, especially if any major hills are involved. My '97 4WD SOHC 2-door Explorer pulls my 2500 lbs. tent trailer easy enough on flat ground and can even maintain 70 MPH going up 6% grades up to 7000 feet in elevation however let a slower car pull in front of me causing me to slow down and it will then take a long time to get my speed built back up. If the Explorer you are considering has the SOHC V6, then it will weigh several hundred pounds more than mine, add the additional

2000 pounds from the trailer and finally add the increased surface area of the fact that it is a travel trailer and I believe you will be struggling with it. If it is the V8 then it should be OK. Incidentally, my '97 SOHC, 4WD, 2-door is rated to tow 4800 pounds with my tow package.
Reply to
Alpine