Question about removing console

Hi! I have been looking at used Ford Explorers recently. I am a substitute rural mail carrier and since I don't work too often, I have no need for a right hand drive vehicle. Instead I would like a vehicle that I could use for every day with occasional work use. When working it is necessary to sometimes sit in the middle of the seat. Nowadays it seems as if everything has bucket seats, center consoles, gear shifts and/or four-wheel drive shifters on the floor--no more bench seats.

I think the Ford Explorer would work for me (gear shift at the steering column, push button four-wheel drive) except that I would need to remove the center console. It seems that there is a lot of wiring in the console! I wondered how difficult it would be to remove it without causing electrical problems in the vehicle, and if there is a model or year that would be best.

Thanks so much in advance! :)

Reply to
teresamb1

Just guessing, but I'm thinking most of the wiring there is probably for the rear seat heat/radio controls on the back of the console which are on the high end models. Look for a low end model without that or disconnect it and you should be OK. Of course I would try and preserve as many connections as you can and cover it all with some plywood or something...

Reply to
Al Williams