R/R Fuel Tank 1992 Explorer

I need to fix or replace the fuel gauge float and was wondering if some could assist me by giving me a procedure for getting to it.

Reply to
bob

Basically you have to drop the tank. Run it as low as possible, drop it part way so you can disconnect the stuff on the top of it, then drop it the rest of the way. Pull the pump out and replace it and the sending unit, Reinstall. I don't think there is any real trick to it. All the hardware is in plain sight that holds the tank in place.

Reply to
AZGuy

In addition to what AZGuy has mentioned, take a look at the information provided at

(Scroll down to thesection "Fuel Systems")Tank R&R is covered well in the "Fuel Pump & Sender Replacement - 1991 to1994"

Thanks to Dr. Bob, as his site gives a shade tree mechanic a boost of confidence!

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf

I went through this on my '94. The pump was still functional, so I ran the tank down to near-empty, then disconnected the fuel filter & stuck a hose on the fuel line and into a 5-gallon container. I then pulled the fuel pump relay & jumpered the contacts to pump the tank empty. Caution - unless you are sure of the connections you can damage your computer doing this!!! You'll need the plastic quick-disconnect tools (5/16 & 3/8) to undo the fuel filter & pump fuel lines. Plan on picking up a fuel pump lock ring & replacement fuel line clips from your dealer.

Mike

Reply to
Mike