radiator coolant 1997 xlt

I checked the radiator coolant today and there was none in there so I figured that was not good. I went to Pep Boys and got some engine coolant (liquid is green in color) and added it to the resevoir. Is there a ratio of water to coolant that I need?

Reply to
fogdog

50/50 is what is recommended. For top-off's you can now buy it pre mixed Jack
Reply to
jrchilds

jrchilds wrotenews: snipped-for-privacy@jack.home:

That's an incredible ripoff for people too lazy to add water.

They're giving you a watered down diluted mixture for about the same price!

This guy needs to pop the radiator cap when it's cold, turn on the engine and see if there is any movement of water in his radiator, then slowly add water to it until it's full and overflowing, then put the cap back on and then check it again in a day or two and keep an eye on the temp gauge.

The resoviour shouldn't have been out of completely of water.

I wouldn't be dumping expensive coolent into it if it's major leaking somewhere.

Reply to
Lt Fuzz

It is a bad habit to just add water. If you keep on doing that you are diluting the mix from 50/50. Better to keep adding a mix even if you mix it yourself. If you get the fluid too dilute, the boiling point gets too low some day you will get a nasty surprise as it boils over or even worse if you are in a cold climate the cooling system turns to ice.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

When I looked inside the resevoir that was labeled "Radiator Coolant" the resevoir was completely empty save for a few droplets at the bottom of it. So I have already filled the resevoir up part of the way with straight coolant, so should I add some water to even this mix out or what?

Reply to
fogdog

fogdog wrotenews:d1utjg$ke7$ snipped-for-privacy@news-int.gatech.edu:

It never hurts to run straight glycol, but it's expensive. If you pour straight coolent in there, it'll just mix with the radiator water when the engine cools down after the first run and the vacuum sucks it down into the radiator.

If it's empty again, you are either seriously low on water or you have a leak.

Like I said, take the cap off and see what's going on yourself.

If you find out it's just low, and you just added water, it's time to flush it anyway and it's easy. Just get under the radiator (when it's cold!) and turn the little petcock there (like a big wingnut) counterclockwise and open it up. Then open the radiator cap and let it all drain out.

I usually flush mine by sticking my garden hose in there at first and keep filling it until it runs clear. Then I shut off the engine, tighten up petcock and then put a gallon of anti in there, turn it on, then keep filling the radiator until it overflows. Cap it and there you go.

When flushing, make sure it's not real hot or hot and empty when you do it. Make sure the engine is cool or warm, NOT hot.

Reply to
Lt.Fuzz