Radio output suddenly distorted

Re: The radio with 6-disc CD changer in my '02 Explorer.

This unit has worked well since Day 1, until recently when the audio developed a kind of frog-in-the-throat distortion. Since the problem happened on all four channels simultaneously, I don't think I've blown a speaker, nor have I popped an amplifier output stage, nor is it a wiring problem. In addition, the distortion is present on both AM/FM and CD audio. That doesn't leave too much that could have failed. I'm guessing that one of the power supply filter caps has gone bad, but I'm certainly willing to entertain other guesses.

Before I pop the radio out of the dash and start troubleshooting, it would be handy to have a schematic for it. Is such a thing available? BTW, I'm an electrical engineer, and work on antique radios a lot, so I am reasonably confident of my basic troubleshooting ability and my tool set.

Thanks

Bill Jeffrey

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

Yeah, I think you got it- a power supply problem affecting the audio amps. I have a DVD with schematics, but they don't get down to the component level in the radios.

You could pull the radio and look for the usual- an electrolytic capacitor with a bulging end, but you're probably just going to need to replace the radio.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide