Re: 1992 4x4 not working

The early cars have a list of things that might cause the problem you describe. The shift motor on the transfer case can move slightly, enough to confuse the controller module. The controller module itself may have failed. You may have a blown fuse.

There is an extensive resource on the problems and solutions compiled at

This site maintains an archiveof listserve and usenet posts on Expolorer issues dating back to theearly '90's You also have searchable access to early usenet postsfrom this group through Google's online service at google.com.

Hope this helps!

dr bob '92 XLT 4x4 4D, black, still running fine at 200k miles.

k>i have a 1992 explorer and the for wheel drive does not work. it has

the buttone on the dash and they do not push and no lights come on any >one that knows about this please let me know >-- >Posted using the
interface, at author's request>Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards>Topic URL:

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

dr bob

The problem is *usually* the servo motor on the transfer case however I think I read about someone's wiring coming loose from the buttons once or twice. I have two Explorers (91 and 92) and on both of them the servo motor just got stuck and it was a matter of taking apart the motor and lubricating it to get it to work again.

I suggest you do a google.com search and read some of the old posts concerning this matter as it has been discussed many times.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Ulysses

Try taking it to Tuffy... They check 4 free... may have a oil leak in the piece (sorry can't remember the exact name) that controls the 4 wheel Drive... Mine is 96 & I have the same leak... Needs new gasket... Hope thats helpful!

Reply to
Smoothshades