Re: 30,000 Mile Service: Are my thoughts on this valid?

While at my dealership yesterday getting my fuel filter changed (yea I decided

>to have them do it).... I picked up a copy of their scheduled maintenance guide. >Here is what it says and what I think for my upcoming 30,000 mile checkup. I'd >like to have some of your opinions on things that you believe are unnecessary, >as well as things that are overpriced. If things are too overpriced, I will >gladly look elsewhere.... > >Below, anything with an asterisk next to it (*) is what the "dealer" recommends >done. All others, according to the guide, is recommended from the factory. > >$29.95 Change Engine Oil & Filter, Top off Fluids > - I know I can get it done cheaper elsewhere, but yea, do this every 3k to >5k miles

If they use fords new oil it can probably go to the full 5K before changing, or even farther, since it's semi-syn. Depends on your driving profile.

$19.95 Inspect tires for wear & rotate > - Again, done cheaper elsewhere... every 5k miles >* $89.95 4 Wheel Thrust Alignment > - I don't think I need it done. Rotating my tires a few weeks ago has solved >my drifting problem

If it's not wearing tires funny and handles "like it's supposed to" there's no reason to mess with alignment.

* $39.95 Rotate & Balance Tires > - I admit, this is cheaper than my tire store. But I paid to have them >rotate & balance last time > Luckily, once you pay to have them balance them, they will balance for >free the remaining life > of the tires. >$24.00 Replace Engine Air Filter > - Sad! I replace it myself for $12 for a Motorcraft filter from my local >O'Rileys >* $69.95 Brake Flush > - Is this necessary?

No. Ford has specifically stated that if you are not opening the system to constantly add fluid due to leaks or whatever that there is no need for flushes other then during normal pad/disk servicing.

$154.52 Auto Transmission Flush (up to 14qts) > - Um, no. My transmission has a 100,000 mile service interval. They can't >force me to do this. > Also, transmission replaced at 19,000 miles. As of now, it doesn't have >10,000 miles on it.

Even with a claimed 100K interval it's MHO that you'd be better off getting it flushed every 50K or even more often if you do a lot of severe service. But you don't need it now.

$6.30 Inspect cooling system & hoses > - Well, I can check hoses... what else should I check?

I doubt they will do anything you wouldn't unless they actually have a cap tester and also pressurize your system and see if it leaks down. I doubt they'll be doing that for $6.30.

$39.95 Replace Fuel Filter > - Done, but I'm going to find a cheaper place next time

THis is one of the few things I've let the dealer do because I've been totally unsuccessful at breaking the connectors loose and it's so hard to get to without a lift (on my 92). I've tried 3 different styles of "tools" and none of them unsnapped the darn connectors.

$6.30 Inspect wheel for endplay and noise > - I wouldn't know the first to do..so....

They are going to turn your steering wheel back and forth and see if it feels "loose".

$6.30 Inspect & Lubricate steering linkage, suspension, driveshaft & ball >joints

A bargain compared to laying under the vehicle and doing it yourself if they really catch all of the few places that should be lubed.

- Again, never done something like that myself. >$6.30 Inspect exhaust system & heat shields > - I should take an auto-repair course for dummies...haha >$49.95 Replace Cabin Air Filter (If Equipped) > - How do I know if I have one?

Owners manual should list it.

* $89.95 Fuel Injection Service > - ?? Cleaning them? What if I use Fuel Injection cleaner every 3,000 miles?

If you aren't having drivability problems you don't need them doing this. YOu should not need to use FI cleaner every 3K miles. Every 5 to 10K as preventive maintenance should be plenty since all fuel comes with a federally mandated FI cleaner already in it that is adequate for cars that have no defects in the emissions systems and that performed as intended. That said, there are a few cars that passed the test for certification but still need more FI cleaner then the minimum.

* $29.95 Service Battery > - What service does it need? >

It should mean they do a load test and clean the terminals.

>Total, both factory & dealer, $663.27. > >But, taking out the things which I will not have them do, I'd still be looking >at around $200~250... still a lot :( >
Reply to
AZGuy

I didn't think that was so necessary. Thanks for the reassurance.

Agreed. I actually would not let it go 100,000 miles (actually, to be perfectly honest, I don't intend on keeping it 100,000 miles). The longest I was willing to let it go was 75,000 miles..... or 60,000.

I'm glad to hear that. Friends were surprised I didn't try to do it myself. I got some info from Jim Warman on how to do it and it looked beyond me.... :( so I didn't wanna mess with it.

Oh my that's all? Ok I'll mark it off of the list.

I thought so..... that sounded reasonable to let them do that.

Well, I was having some vibration issues.... when I was sitting at a stoplight, or even sitting in park before I drive away from a driveway, I would feel a vibration coming from the engine which would shake the vehicle. I mean, it was not very bad, but if I were to give the engine just a bit more gas (increase the normal 500/750 rpm idle to 1000 or over) it would go away. But as soon as I let go of the gas, it started the vibration before. I opened the hood while it was running, and you could see the engine actually "shake" when this happened, just a quick jerk-movement side to side. So I assumed fuel injectors were dirty, so I right away began using fuel injector cleaner about once every 3,000 miles (and in the interim, I would use the one designed for "Every other tank"). But, after

6 months of that treatment, it was neither better or worse.

I was told that I should replace my fuel filter 2 times a year (before every major weather change). I asked if that would help my vibration. My friend said that the engine's computer is trying to adjust the proper gas flow, and if the filter is clogged, it keeps having to re-adjust it and the vibration would be a side-effect of that. But, now that it is changed, I'm still having the vibration issue. Perhaps now I should try the fuel injector cleaner now I have a new filter??? or what else should I look at? My friend mentioned something regarind O2 sensors should be checked as well as an EGR Valve? That's all greek to me.... :(

I've checked the terminals, they are not dirty. In fact still shiny :-) The vehicle starts just fine.... should I still consider this?

Thanks for all the info!

Reply to
Tim

Yea, it's a V6.... 4.0L SOHC V6. Sadly I'll make yet another trip up to the dealership :( I'm tired of seeing them every month........

Reply to
Tim

When I bought my '91 Navajo (Explorer Sport) I had this funny whine from the fuel pump. I didn't think much of the noise but I went through and changed all the filters. After changing the fuel filter, the fuel pump whine went away. I checked the old filter for flow and was almost totally plugged.

Didn't affect the operation of the engine, but I'm sure it took some life off the fuel pump.

I'd change it.

Reply to
rakster