Re: 94 Ford Explorer Fuel Pump

In this same vein, would a bad ECM or relay cause intermittent failure of the fuel pump to cycle upon turning the ignition switch? The good thing is the failure of the fuel pump to cycle is increasing in frequency so soon it will better/easier to isolate the source of the problem. Is my thinking on this correct?

Jim

Today the car wouldn't start and I tried to jump the EEC-IV to cycle fuel pump and the FP would not cycle. So I'm off to buy a fuel pump this week-end and unfortunately I just filled the tank.

Anybody think I should not immediately replace the fuel pump, hanger assembly, and strainer

----- Original Message ----- >From: "J Adams" >> I tried that, shorting the 2 connectors, and it cycled the fuel pump. >> >> Now the next time I don't hear the fuel pump cycle (and the car doesn't >> start) and I short that circuit to cycle the fuel pump >> hopefully that will work. >> >> In the event I do just that , there are 2 possible outcomes; >> >> 1) The fuel pump does cycle - what component failure is implied > >If it only works by forcing this and does not work otherwise, you either >have a bad ECM or the ECM is not getting power (perhaps bad ECM relay). > >> 2) The fuel pump does not cycle - what component failure is implied > >Bad FP relay, bad pump, or tripped inertia switch. If not familiar with the >latter, that's a switch which disconnects power to the FP in case of an >accident. It's not likely to be intermittent thing: once tripped, the pump >will not work until you reset it. Just to make sure, find it (probably >somewhere in your trunk - check the owner's manual) and push the reset >button. Could also be a bad electrical connection somewhere along the way. > >> By the way, when I short the EEC-IV connector circuit does that bypass the >> ECM/PCM? > > >Yes, it does. >
Reply to
J Adams