Re: 97 Air direct problem with A/C

This will be some sort of vacuum problem..... climate control 'mode' selection uses engine vacuum to operate the doors. The system defaults to the defrost setting when vacuum bleeds off.

Take note of when the problem occurs...... when accelerating or ascending grades would most likely be the one way check valve - usually located near the firewall on the right hand (passenger) side. If the problem occurs when going over rough roads, suspect a loose vacuum connection.

HTH.

Our 97 Explorer has developed a problem. While running the A/C the air > control will switch from the dash vents to the defroster vents then back to > the dash vents. This cycle repeats periodically and frequently. The control > dial is set to Max A/C or A/C and happens without any driver interaction. > > Is there a faulty relay that is the most culprit in this possession? > >
Reply to
Jim Warman

Fred

A posting I made back in 2000..............

Bingo! I stopped in at the shop today and told them my problem, and they said the same as you. They found the line that was off, but it took an hour to find where it was supposed to go! What a plumbing nightmare.

Anyhow, I haven't had time to confirm that fixed the problem, but I'm sure it will. Many thanks for the suggestion. I will cancel my appointment with the Ford dealer to check out my AC.

ps.- the fellow that owns the little shop that did my work smiled, and said that it would be interesting to take it to the dealer and see just what they would diagnose the problem as being. The service advisor told me that acceleration had nothing to do with it. Mmmmmm..................

Reply to
budman

I traced all of the vaccum lines and could not find a break or separated connection. The reservoir is up under the fender skirt just behind the bumper on the passenger side. The only thing left is for the reservoir to be bad, which I assume can go bad. There must be a valve in it. It appears to only be available from Ford or a salvage yard.

interaction.

Reply to
JM