Re: 97 Explorer question

Nope. These are two different sensors. The crank sensor should be mounted down near the bottom, front of the engine, very close to the crankshaft pulley (i.e., the lowest pulley on the engine). The cam sensor is mounted up higher, near the front. I'm not sure which engine you have, but if it's the pushrod V6, then the sensor will be mounted near the front valley of the v.

If the cam sensor fails the engine should still start, it will just take a little longer since the computer does not know whether it is firing on a compression stroke or an exhaust stroke. Once the computer works out this descrepancy, the engine will run fine.

If the crank sensor fails the engine will not start. The crank sensor feeds the crankshaft angle to the computer so that the fuel can be ignited at the appropriate time (ignition timing). If the computer doesn't know when to fire, then it will not.

A crank sensor failure should set a fault in the computer memory. Does the car have the MIL on? If not, you could back probe the sensor with a DVM and check for a change in the signal as the engine is cranked over.

Tom

Is the cam position sensor and the crank position sensor the same item? I > was told that my starting problem when the truck would crank over but not > run was a bad crank position sensor.
Reply to
Tom