Re: how much weight in a '93 XLT

Hi all

> I have about 50 boxes of ceramic tile to pick up this weekend. They >weigh about 50# per box and I was wondering if anybody knew what the max >amount of weight is that I should load into my X. I prefer to be kinder to >it than to load it till the wheels almost rub! > >Thanks > >Larry >

There should be, on your driver's door pillar, a tag with the info you need. You're looking for the GAWL (Gross Allowable Weight Limit), and the allowable weight on each axle. You will alos need to weigh the truck full up, with you in it. Subtract this weight from the GAWL. This will tell you how much the truck can carry in cargo, but the tile would be over the rear axle, so you'll need to temper the gross cargo amount to allow for that. How? The best way (and the most time consuming) is to weigh the truck's rear wheels; this will tell you just how much tile you can load in the back end.

Why do all this? Because getting it wrong can ruin more than your whole day. :-)

Or, make a bunch of trips. Or find a friend with a pickup. Or have it delivered.

Reply to
bill

Thanks for the feedback guys. I didn't have time or access to scales so I went with the 900# limit. The truck dropped about 3" but did OK. As for borrowing a trailer, since they were 14" porcelain tiles I was afraid the bouncing around would crack some. As it stands, all the tiles made it home OK. The only casualty was my back!

Larry

Reply to
LCC