Re: Huge study about safety can be misinterpreted by SUV drivers

I guess I'm lucky to be alive then. (shudder) :) -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

Yep, and I own two minivans and a pickup, but not for reasons of safety. I also ride a motorcycle when weather permits and they typically don't fair nearly as well safety-wise, but are great from a fuel mileage perspective.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

I've driven modern SUVs. Compare apples to apples. If you want to compare a $60,000 truck designed to be sporty with a $15,000 car designed to be economical, I'd hope that the truck priced at 4 times the cost and with a stated sporty goal would be able to impress.

Now, compare the cheaper Boxter S with the Cayenne and get back to me. Note that the Boxster is cheaper. Or, since you don't seem to care about price in your comparisons, compare the 911 Turbo with the Cayenne Turbo.

Marc For email, remove the first "y" of "whineryy"

Reply to
Marc

I don't drive a small car. I also don't drive at or beyond the limits of my vehicle or skill. I'l be doing the watching, not the rolling.

Lisa

Reply to
Lisa Horton

Neither car can tow worth a damn.

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

You clearly don't understand what type of maneuver would cause a car to roll and yet you tell me you would be able to avoid it. You are clearly irrelevant to this discussion.

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

At least around here, the large SUV is THE vehicle of choice for the bad drivers. Unfortunate for those who are not bad drivers but do have SUV's.

Lisa

Dave Milne wrote:

Reply to
Lisa Horton

By "Around here" I assume you mean the 3000 mile wide US populated with

260,000,000 people ?

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: > But these points are totally irrelevant as they apply to all vehicles ! : >

: > Dave Milne, Scotland : > '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara : >

Reply to
Dave Milne

Care to support that with an sort of evidence Lisa or is this just opinion?

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

You have absolutely no basis for your assertion about my knowledge. Pulling assertions out of your ass makes you an ignoratn fool.

Lisa

Reply to
Lisa Horton

You have already illustrated you misconceptions about what causes a vehicle to roll over. I don't need any further clarification. You are still quite irrelevant to this discussion.

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

The vehicle that I bought is very, very safe. Pity that you're so myopic.

Maybe less time playing Dungeons and Dragons and more time in the real world is good advice for you.

So, you know what kind of SUV I drive and how it handles relative to many passenger cars? How do you know this?

So what "facts" are you using? LOL. How ironic.

More proof of your cluelessness. It's not surprising though.

Reply to
P e t e F a g e r l i n

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Reply to
P e t e F a g e r l i n

Not in the requirements of the other poster.

Marc For email, remove the first "y" of "whineryy"

Reply to
Marc

I don't know where "here" is for you, but here in the Phoenix area, the worst drivers are the wannabe gangsters with the small, "sporty" cars with the loud, raspy exhaust (who have, evidently, never heard the exhaust of a decent V-8 :-)), 140dB stereo going full blast with rap playing on it, who think they are God's gift to designers of such cars, and think they have a divine mandate to drive as fast as they can, usually after drinking a 40. Despite their relatively small numbers, they cause an inordinately large number of crashes, with the attendant injuries and fatalities. Next in line are those who substitute the compact import trucks for the cars.

Yes, I see SUVs being driven stupidly. However, I do not think that this is a characteristic of the vehicle, unlike a lot of people who seme to like to impart humanity to a machine.

Reply to
Bill Funk

How about a minimum weight for cars? It's the weight difference that's the problem.

Well as long as you want to save gas don't forget about all the sports cars out there with huge gas guzzling engines too. All those Lexus's and Porche's with

300 hp v8 engines. Think of all the gas those waste.
Reply to
JaWise

The other day I was driving behind a Cadillac Escalade that was veering all over the road. Sure enough I look and see that it's some 17 year old girl on the phone. I suppose if she crashed and it rolled you would blame the SUV. Maybe we should require people driving big SUV's and trucks to have a different class of license. This girl had ne business driving this big vehicle!

Reply to
JaWise

I think you need to modify your statement slightly -

This girl had no business driving ANY vehicle!

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

the '80s Jaguar XJ6 / XJ12s used to do that - they had fuel tanks in each rear quarter which would burst and spray fuel into the interior.. Changed with the XJ40s

Reply to
Dave Milne

the Kadett was a horrible piece of shit, with a rusty body, awful gearbox and weak 4 cyl thrashy engine. The brakes were great and the handling was pretty good for a small car, but the build quality sucked..

I had one ...

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

: >

: >Lloyd Parker wrote: : >

: >> Yeah, we got Pintos, Vegas, and Gremlins. : >

: >I can't speak to Vegas and Gremlins, but I did own a shiny new 1972 Pinto. : The : >only import car in the same price range that was better in my opinion was the : >Datsun 510 (and it was more expensive). The low cost Toyotas available in the : >Eastern US in 1972 were low grade junk and too small inside besides. : : I had a 1972 Corolla that was an excellent entry-level car. Opel was also : selling Kadetts and 1900s that were good cars. : : : >The VWs : >sold at that time were laugable. The 510 was a great little car. I probably : >would have bought one if there had been a dealer in my home town. The biggest : >problem the US companies had was their desire to not build low price cars : that : >would take sales away from their other models. : >

: >Ed : >

Reply to
Dave Milne