re---Oil pressure alert/engine check light.

your problem could be very serious. Worn engine and seals. No OIL pressure on startup. Overnight the engine oil drains down from the oilways into the sump. Worst is the timing chain tensioners are hydraulic (oil pressure needed). If this combines with a sticky idle control valve your engine will self destruct. Sticky idle valve will make your engine rev too much on startup. No oil pressure means timing chain will "slap" violently and destroy tensioner.

I fixed this problem on my UK Explorer by importing a bit of kit from USA.

Fit a "T" piece behind oil pressure switch and connect an oil pipe from there to a pressure flask with an electric solenoid valve at its base. Before switch off for the evening hold your revs at 1500 - 2000 for 10 seconds or so to capture the maximum oil pressure overnight in the pressure flask. Switch off closes solenoid valve and traps pressurised oil supply in flask.

Switch on in morning and wait for 20 - 30 seconds for pressurised oil to be released back into the oil galleries and Timing chain tensioners. Watch your guages and you will see your oil pressue rise to its normal level before you start the engine.

Available as a ready made kit with all fittings in USA. About $350 if I remember right.

Dont ignore this warning. A new /rebuilt engine is very costly.

Ian Lowrie email me on snipped-for-privacy@pleasantfarm.freeserve.co.uk if you need more info

-= Get GrabIt for free from

=-

Reply to