re:problems after head replacment on 1991 ranger

To who it concerns or can help, I had to replace a head on my 1991 Ford Ranger 4x4 ( 2.9 L.) after the soft plugs fell out. The motor was not showing hot but it still broke the head. My question is why does it start up fine and runs until it warms up and then dies and will not re-start until it is cold? I did every thing according to my Haines Manual but am not having any luck. I am not a novice mechanic I was

1000 hr certified in 1971 and have kept up on new systems since. I am at my wits end. Please help. Sincerely, Samuel Springer
Reply to
SamuelSpringer6

OK.... after it dies, do you have spark and fuel? How about compression..... IIRC, the 2.9 has mechanical lifters. If these are improperly adjusted, the warm engine will have the valves off their seats all the time.

Jim Warman