Re: Thinking of buying a used '97 Explorer - Opinions (pro and con) Welcomed!!!

I ordered my 4 dr, 4WD '97 XLT OHV 4.0 liter with manual trans before they hit the lots in the summer of 1996. Now with over 150K miles, it remains the most reliable vehicle I have owned in over 35 years experience with cars from all major makers, US, Japanese, or German. This was the 3rd year of this version of the Explorer, and it tends to confirm my suspicion that this is when the bugs found the first year models, which are reported during the 2nd year of production, actually get fixed! The differences from prior models (95 and 96) included an improved Control Trac system that allows locking the transfer case in high range and a relocated air intake to avoid ingesting water to the engine when going through deep puddles. This was the last year where some little things like door lights, under hood lights, and an XLT with manual trans were offered. There were some mechanical issues with the SOHC 4.0 liter engines this year, but the old push rod 4 is quite rugged. I could certainly recommend this model.

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Scruitol wrote:

Reply to
Vic Klein

The SOHC V-6's have too many cam chain problems to suit me. I'll go for the old pushrod engine, I think '97 was the last year for them.

Reply to
Mike

I also have a '97 XLT OHV 4.0 liter and I am happy with it, I you're going to use it for towing get the 5.0.

Reply to
Sauger