Re: Vibration when accerating on '91

Hello there -

The vibration was caused by a bad u-joint at the rear of the driveshaft. Since it was in bad shape, the mechanic said that is also damaged the nylock nut that holds the flange in place on the rear pumpkin. All better now.

Randy

Looks like I need to look at the drive shaft. > > The transmission has been a load of fun with this vehicle. Four years ago, > i had it rebuilt while on a trip. One year later, the overdrive unit gives > out - fixed under the one year warranty. Last year, while on a trip again, > the pump went out - spewing fluid. I had the torque convertor replaced > while it was apart. > > The vibration only occurs in gear. The engine revs smoothly in neutral. > Even when at speed. Tried that one. > > I used to have the windup clunk noise in the drive shaft - don't know if it > still does that. > > The other unusual item is that the starter is starting to turnover weaker > than it used to. The battery has been replaced and voltage is not a > problem. > > Thanks for the ideas, > > Randy > > > > Does it do it if you rev the engine in neutral? I had my flex plate break > on > > my '93 (happened twice). I noticed a vibration under acceleration right > > before it went out. > > > > Larry > > > > > I just had the same symptoms in my '91. It turned out that the torque > > > converter had worn in such a way the it would vibrate during > > > acceleration. Had the tranny rebuilt and now it works fine. > > > > > > Good luck, > > > > > > Jeff > > > > > > Mike wrote: > > > > I'll second the U-joint / driveshaft. I went through this on my '94 at > > 135K miles. > > > > > > > > Mike > > > > > > > > "Randy Johnson" wrote in

message

> news:... > > > > > > > >>Hello there -- > > > >> > > > >> A wonderful new problem has just started on my '91. When you > > > >>accelerate, a vibration shakes the windows and interior panels causing > a > > > >>buzzing sound - it can also be felt in the steering wheel. The power > > seems > > > >>the same as always - don't think it is missing. The vibration stops a > > soon > > > >>as you let off of the gas. It does seem to peak at certain speeds - > 45 > > is > > > >>really bad. > > > >> > > > >> Any tips that I should look for? > > > >> > > > >> > > > >> Randy > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Reply to
Randy Johnson