Re: What can ya'll tell me about '97-'99 Explorer

I've owned a 97 and 99. Mechanically I think they are identical. There is a slight change in bodywork. I would recomment the v6 over the v8. The v8 gets worse gas mileage and is only slightly more powerful. Both were very reliable.

There is a recall for replacing the cam chain guides in the v6 engine. I believe it's valid until 70k miles. Might want to check if it's been done.

If you get the automatic climate control there is a know problem of the blend door (hot/cold) stripping out. To replace it you gotta take apart the whole dash.

The only non standard maintenance was a thermostat, power steering pump and the cam tensioner/intake manifold gasket recall.

Reply to
JaWise

Tailgate was changed in 98. And also they started using round fog lights in 99. Other than these cosmetics, they are the same.

Depends on what V6 you are talking about. The OHV V6 is only 160HP but it is very reliable and pretty much bulletproof and it does get better gas mileage than the V8. Now the SOHC V6 is a different animal. It puts out around 205-210HP . It does have some issues with the timing chain tensioners. The SOHC V6 and the V8 get about the same gas mileage but the V8 has more torque and is more reliable so if you had to choose between these 2, choose the V8.

Reply to
SizzleMP