Really persistent Service Engine Soon / gas-cap problem

My daughter has a 2002 Limitted with a history that now involves at least 10 trips to Ford dealer for the reason stated in the subject line. Most fueling system parts have been replaced -- Yet the problem persists. Searching past threads on this group does not reveal any silver bullets for this particulary persistent problem. She is way beyond the tighten gas cap and cycle the start/run function of the engine 3, 5 or 10 times.

Has anyone had a similar experience and eventually found a fix for this problem.

JHanson

Reply to
johnhanson4

It might sound stupid but is she filling the gas tank with the motor running ? The oxygen sensor goes nuts when this happens thinking there is a gas/air error and the check engine light comes on.

sonofadocker

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
SONOFADOCKER

I'm going to guess that an evaporative emissions code is being set..... I'm going to guess that the code is for a minor leak.... do I seem to be doing a lot of guessing?

Now..... minor leaks can be difficult to find, but not impossible... If your dealer doesn't have a smoke machine..... there's been a waste of time going on.... If your dealer has a smoke machine but doesn't have techs that can follow some very simple directions (outlined in the PC/ED manual)... there's been a waste of time.... If your dealer is good to this point, the tech should use one of those powerful halogen spot lights - these can help to make thin smoke appear....

At the same time, the tech should be checking OASIS to see if there are any applicable TSBs... FWIW, I use OASIS a LOT. The TSBs and SSMs that might come up can reduce diagnostic headaches amazingly.

I can understand your frustration at having such a simple concern dragged out like this.... you might quiz a tech a little to see if he does know the evap system.... First, the WDS or IDS is used to run the EVAP test (fuel level must be between something like 15% and 80% of tank capacity - I can never remember and always check the manual). This test will tell us if the system is indeed leaking or not and can also tell us if it is a minor leak or a gross leak. The Schraeder valve (usually located at the purge solenoid) is plastic and has a left hand thread.... This is important to know since the valve can be easily destroyed but still needs to be removed to smoke test the evap system. When charging the system with smoke, I remove the gas cap to permeate the system with smoke quickly - once smoke appears at the filler neck, the cap is re-installed and the scan tool is used to duty cycle the vent valve to the closed position. Pulsing the smoke machine makes better smoke than just holding the button steady.

The other reply you got is cute.... it shows that the system is grossly misunderstood....but it is cute...

Reply to
Jim Warman