Rear Axle leaking AGAIN?

2002 Explorer, XLS 4x4 4.0L SOHC

I had my vehicle serviced for my 30k miles this past weekend. The servicing dealership noticed my rear axle was leaking again (this will be the 3rd time in under 6 months this problem has occurred).

The dealership I took it to on the weekend did not have any replacement seals, and said there was still plenty of grease in there, but the leak was present. So I am taking it to my local dealership in the morning.

I remember Jim W. commenting before (about the 2nd leak) that the dealership should have performed a better job at fixing those seals the 1st time around so I wouldn't have to go back a second time......... But now, we're at the 3rd time. SURELY there is something they are missing...... or should they actually be looking into replacing something a bit bigger rather than just the seal? All I know (which is limited when it comes to vehicles) is that this will be the 3rd repair in under 6 months.... it's starting to make me worry about it because I'm getting so close to the end of my warranty. (I expect my 36,000 mile mark will be hit by January or February of next year.... it turns 2 years old in 9 days.... lol) I don't want to be stuck with having this repaired at 36,001 miles and have to pay a huge bill, when they apparently haven't ever fixed it right to begin with.... :-/

Tim

Reply to
Tim
3 times in 6 months (for a pinnion seal) would lead me to think that there is a rough spot/scratch whatever on the pinnion shaft where the seal makes contact. Never had a rear seal leak, but my front pinnion seal is leaking on our '02 with 15000 miles and just 1 year old. Had same problem with old '98. wth
Reply to
wth

Well APPARENTLY... the last time they put the seal on, they put it on somehow incorrectly. From what I remember, he said that the seal was pushing against the shaft driving the rear left wheel, and forced a groove into the shaft, so no seal will fix it. They've ordered a new shaft and should be in tomorrow.

In the mean time (this is a first), I'm driving a 2003 Ford Taurus from their own rental fleet. Usually they send me to Enterprise, which is where I'll either get a Dodge Neon or Stratus...... :-) It's like they are telling me to "go with Dodge" instead....... :)

Reply to
Tim

They FINALLY got it fixed yesterday, the part was way late... and here I am without my Explorer and driving a Taurus now for a complete week....

The seal was sideways from what I'm being told, the seal going into the differential. Anyway, it cut a 1/4 inch groove in the shaft driving the wheel...... so that shaft was replaced yesterday. Today they did other things I wanted them to look into (rought idle, hesitation, etc), which a new calibration was programmed into the PCM. Now they still have it because the Ford "Gold Package" alarm (alarm/remote start) is giving me fits, so they are having a tech come out tomorrow to take a look at it......... what's another day or two of driving a taurus? :(

Reply to
Tim