Rear doors

I have a 97 model and the rear doors won't open from the inside. It is not the child lock. One door stopped working about six months ago and now the other door won't open either. The handles are about half pulled. The power locks work fine. The doors open fine from the outside. Wondering if anyone else has seen this and what was the resolution. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Rick

Rick

FWIW, I had the same thing happen on our '96 XLT Explorer over the weekend. The inside handle stays pulled out, but can open from outside OK. I pushed the inside handle back into place by whacking it with my hand, and it "clicked" into place. I suspect something is broken or out of whack, requiring me to probably pull the door cover off from the inside to fix whatever's broken.

Bummer

Mike

Reply to
Mike Mayer

Hello,

This a common problem with exps. They even sell aftermarket handles on Ebay for such applications. Mine (95 exp) is broken on the passenger side rear door. I haven't replaced/fixed it yet. If you search google rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer you will find much help in removing rear door panels and replacing the handles.

Reply to
Ted

Ted, the ones on Ebay are for 1st gen Explorers ('91-'94) only. It's the black handle itself. Ford tried to skim the cost by using a cheaper type of plastic. But look on the bright side, the handles only cost $13 brand new at the dealership so it's no big deal at all. When you're at the parts desk, ask them for a rear door handle for your Explorer and they'll ask you which side, tell him which and they'll know the rest.

The hardest part in the R&R process is taking the door panel apart. I've replaced a couple of handles already with my '96 Eddie Bauer and one of my friend's '95 XLT so that's how I know about the R&R process. Good luck!!

Billy '96 Eddie Bauer

Reply to
BChung4457