Rear End Sag on 02 Explorer

Reply to
Big Shoe

When I load the class 3 hitch to about 450 pounds the rear end sags. So what are my options to correct this? The vehicle is an 02 Explorer XLT with independent rear suspension and coil springs. I estimate I need two inches or so of lift to level the vehicle?

I don't know much about suspension but thought the springs carry the load and determine how much the vehicle sags under load? Will air shocks correct rear end sag? I thought the purpose of shocks do is dampen the spring oscillation? How do air shocks ride under load and without load?

Please post reply to group.

Thanks tikka3006

Reply to
Tikka3006

"Tikka3006" wrotenews:1Kh0e.2121$ snipped-for-privacy@news.cpqcorp.net:

450 pounds on your trailor hitch is way too much. A perfectly balanced trailor, you should be able to pick up the tongue and set it down on the ball by hand.

I like to make sure I have about 40# wieght on the hitch so it doesn't rattle and move around on the ball.

You need to balance the center of gravity on your trailor or load first.

Reply to
Lt Fuzz

Reply to
Big Shoe

The tongue weight should be 10-15% of the trailer weight. This can't be expressed as simply 40#. It must be the right percentage.

Reply to
Big Bill

Reply to
Big Shoe