rear end whine

i have a 2001 ford explorer sport 4x4. it just clicked over 56000 mile

and this whining gets louder by the day. luckily i work with a retie ford mech. he drove it for 2 miles and said definitly rear end goin out. i got online and found over 50 cases of the same thing . they al say ford has known about this since ealy 2004. it just seems to affec

3.73 ratios. dealer says tough. anybody have suggestions? according t other forums new rear end not much help because problem is s widespread

-- shawn2001

Reply to
shawn2001

There were some rear diff noise concerns stemming from lube oil concerns (memory thing). I don't get to work on little stuff much but I do know the other guys were working on some of these. If you would like, post your VIN (or send it off list if you have concerns) and I can run it through OASIS to find any relevant TSBs, etc.

Reply to
Jim Warman

This is a big problem with a number of Fords. My 2002 F-150, FX4, has a whine. I took it back to the dealer. The took off the cover and inspected clearances etc. and said it was ok. It still whines. it doesn't seem to have gotten worse, but it's still there. My wife's 2004 Sport Trac has a whine when you hit 70. it only has 8000 miles on it. It seems like the problem here is that Ford doesn't seem to be to concerned or they would have figured out the problem by now. Ron

Reply to
R&B

That reminds me of the whine my sister and husband's ............. Comet!!!

Remember that car from the 60s? That was the big thing about that car.. that and the fact that it had child locks in the back that you couldn't open without a key or something to stick into this little slot to pull them up. That rear end whine. It's funny how that's one of the things I associated with my sister and her husband. I was young; they were much older and for some reason that whine was a defining thing. Anita and Bruce, the ones with the whine and the locks you can't open :O) They ought to bring back the Comet, maybe the Falcon too. But leave out the whine. Hey! My father had a Galaxy and it's rear end was quiet. Comet and Galaxy!! My friend had a Nova.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

Ahhh, yes..... "Where were you in '62?".

The waning days of the Stupidbaker...... Ford was trying to market the Frontenac - a rebadged Falson with the ugliest grille in the world - as a distinctly Canadian automobile.... the Fairlane Thunderbolt.....

How I sometimes miss those glory days...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
Big Shoe