Rear hatch intermittently failing to unlock - 2000 Explorer

Howdy all. I've been having an intermittent problem for some time now with my rear hatch in that it fails to unlock with either the key or the remote. It's become increasingly problematic to the point where it very very rarely will unlock now. I'm certain the problem isn't mechanical, in that nothing's obstructing the lock mechanism or getting stuck, and am pretty sure it's something electrical. This is affecting both the hatch and the rear window itself. Either both work (when it works) or neither will.

I'm having a similar issue with the driver's side door, but judging from how the lock "wiggles" a bit on the times it does try to unlock but fails, I'm thinking that's more a mechanical problem and the mechanism sometimes is hanging up on something. It will unlock by the door handle from inside when this happen, but not by key or remote.

Anywho... I'm wondering if this is a known or common problem with these vehicles (2000 Ford Explorer Sport) and am looking for tips on what I should be focusing on to fix it, especially the rear hatch. I believe I should be able to isolate the problem in the driver's door on my own once I pop the panel off, but any thoughts on that will be welcome also. Trying to avoid a big repair bill from the dealer if I can avoid it. TIA!

Reply to
Just Annutha Dewd