Rear Window Wiper on 98

It's a common problem.

Take the wiper arm off and spray some WD-40 on the axle. It freed mine about a year ago and it's still going since.

Reply to
zoti

Is there any one thing that makes a rear wiper fail on a 98? This happened when under warranty but has now happened again and I wonder if it's worth fixing?

Thanks for any insight.

Reply to
Joe Press

This always comes up.

If you live in an area with lots of dust or salt spray, you'll find that the back of the truck is always the dirtiest. That dirt also gets into the arm hinge.

Keep it clean and lubricated, and don't run the wiper unless it's needed, and it should work fine.

Reply to
JonnyCab®

How about a couple of hints on how to remove that wiper arm, please. I've learned how to tell a screwdriver from a pair of pliers, but that is about as mechanical as I am. Thanks.

Reply to
CWLee

The cover on the arm lifts/pivots up to expose a nut holding the arm on the shaft. wth

Reply to
wth

Thanks, guys, for the info. I have removed the cover and found the nut that holds the arm on the shaft. I have removed the nut. The arm seems stuck or frozen on the shaft. Is there a special way one proceeds at this point to remove the arm? At this stage I squirted some WD-40 on every crack and part I could see, reinstalled the nut and cover, and tried the wiper. Still doesn't work. Any further suggestions appreciated.

(To reply directly, replace dubya with w in my email address.)

Thanks.

==========

Reply to
CWLee

I have the same problem with mine. I have found that if I pull the wiper out and on the spring and release it back with the wiper switch in the on position it starts working again. Not a "technical solution".. but it works for me. :)

Reply to
Matthew Kent

OK, is there a typo here I don't recognize? Or something left out? The first part of the sentence doesn't make sense to me. "I have found that if I pull the wiper out and on the spring and release it back ... "

Please clarify what it is you do. Where is the spring you mention? Thanks.

==============

Reply to
CWLee
1 Switch the wiper on 2 go to the back of the car
  1. lift the wiper arm out from its catch on the body
  2. gently ease the wiper arm downwards If you are lucky the arm will 'catch' and start working again. this seems to be a regular fault with 98 rear wipers, and the solution has been mentioned before. dont know if it always works, but its fixed mine twice so far.

Reply to
Mike Palastanga

Tried it, and it worked the first time. Second time it didn't. Third and fourth times it worked. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. :-) Thanks.

Reply to
CWLee

Thank you, it works for my 99 too...

Reply to