Recommended maintenance?

Hi Guys, I own a '98 XLT, that I have had since 6/2000. I had a 6 yr/100,000 warranty which ran out a little over a year ago. (I have ~125k now). Since then the only maintenance I have been doing is checking fluids and changing oil and filter twice a year (It's OK because I use Amzoil synthetic, good for 25k)

I have some low to average mechanical skills, and would like to know what I should do at this juncture for maintenance to get caught up, and what would be some stuff for me to do regularly. Nothing too complicated please, I just want to make this vehicle last as long as possible.

Thanks, Allen

Reply to
im_a_dreemer

im_a snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrotenews:1109994806.436148.306070 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

I'm not sure about using expensive synthetic oils to not change your oil as frequently.

The synthetics break down less with heat and chemicals and provide superior lubrication, but they still chemically hold solids and chemicals in suspension that you recycle through your engine constantly. Especially a new engine breaking in; all those minute pieces of metal!

According to consumer reports, using good quality oil, which all oils regular name brand oils are these days, and changing frequently is better than putting in $50 of synthetic and changing it not as often.

I usually change the oil immediately with a new car or engine, and then in the first month after that. I have engines that have clean clear dipsticks at 80,000 miles and 3,000 miles between changes!

msm

Reply to
Anastazi

Well , I know me, and I dont' like to and won't change oil every 3k or even 5k miles. So the best thing for me is synthetic. I've run with in it all my cars, and my Volvo has probably close to 250k on it and purrs like a kitten. I change it twice a year.

Reply to
im_a_dreemer