removing leather from '91 steering wheel

The leather has badly disintegrated over time. Anyone know if it's just the standard plastic wheel underneath? Thanks!

Reply to
David

I doubt it since it's padded under the leather. If it was me I'd just buy a leather steering wheel cover and put it over the old one.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I'd go with the cover also. My '91 is an Eddie Bower and under the leather is some form of black gel. Over time it started oozing out of the stitching but the leather started looking bad years before. A $4 cover from wal-mart works quite nicely. If it wasn't for the flaking paint and rusted out rocker panels I might have splurged and got the $8 cover.

JG

Reply to
Old Mechanic

Thanks guys. I noticed the black goo as well. Guess I'll avoid a bigger mess and get a new cover.

Reply to
David

Did the cover stop the black goo? I have to wipe my steering wheel before each use.

Reply to
Ulysses

Well, first I used the $2.99 variety which has dozens of little holes and wraps arount the wheel - then you lace it up. It wasn't long until the goop was coming through the holes and getting on my hands. Then I got the $8.99 variety that is sort of a U channel. I never got gooped once I put that one on. It was looking beat after 4 -5 years and I just replaced it with a similar model. Definately a good way to resolve this issue - it's either that or replace the whole steering wheel. Gotta love my '91 EB - even with close to 200K miles and living a "less than" easy life this thing runs fantasticly. I bought it 10 years ago with 138K on it and I never even did a tuneup. The AC still has R12 and will go 5 years without a charge. It does like to leak fluids but the original engine and automatic trans are still going strong. I keep driving it and towing with it because if I sold it, I couldn't get enough to buy a bicycle!

JG

Reply to
Old Mechanic

I had the same problem on my 99 XLT. I found some black silicone sealing tape at Cheker Auto and wrapped it around the areas that were leaking. Then I put one of the cheap lace up perforated covers over that to hold the tape in place.

Reply to
Jerry

Black silicone sealing tape eh? Never heard of it. I'll have to look for some of that.

Reply to
Ulysses

Good tips--thanks!

Gotta love my '91 EB - even with close to 200K miles and

My '91 has about 205K on it and runs excellent but I have replaced the spark plugs and wires a couple of times. I'll bet your plugs are interesting looking about now. Mine gets put in 4WD often and I use it to drag my roads. I'm on my second trans...

I've been debating whether I should get my AC recharged or switch it to the new coolant.

I've had good luck with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak but no such luck with the Transmission Fix. Mine is leaking at the shift control lever so it should be a reasonably easy fix. I think I'll be able to replace the seal by dropping the pan.

Reply to
Ulysses

If you do the work yourself you can buy a nice vacuum pump on ebay for $120 and Freeze 12 for about $8 a can (you'll need 2 or 3 of them) and you'll probably spend less then to have a shop do it and you'll own your own pump when you are done. Oh, you'll need gauges too, about $40 on ebay. That's the route I took on my 64 T-bird.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I'm using the new stuff (R134 or whatever it's called) in my '92. ALL of the R12 had leaked out. My brother-in-law (who's a Lexus mechanic) is the one who originally put it in there. It seems to work fine but could use another can of stop-leak. He did not evacuate the system. I'm not recommending anyone else do this but my b-in-law does seem to be pretty competent.

Reply to
Ulysses