removing rear rotors from my 2003 explorer

I'm trying to remove the rotors from the back of my explorer.I have the e-brake loosened off but i don't see how to get it to release the rotors.Does someone how to get them off??

Reply to
blue thunder

You have the drum in hat assembly( or hat in drum, forgot how they called it), which is the E-brakes sitting inside the rotors. You need to turn the adjusting star on the back of the rotor assembly so the e-brakes can retract thus clearing the rotor so you can pull them out. Its a similiar setup to the old drum brakes. Usually you need just a screwdriver to stick into the back slot to turn the star.

Reply to
Mikepier

I just finished replacing a rear rotor on my '01 Explorer and did have difficulty getting the old rotor off even after completely releasing the pressure on the e-brake pads with the starwheel. I banged on the old rotor (it needed to be replaced anyway) with a standard hammer using a thin block of wood to protect the lugs (in case I missed). I just rapped it fairly strongly in a star pattern and after 3 or 4 go arounds, it slipped right off.

Reply to
SNL19067

With a big hammer :-)

They are probably rusted onto the hub Try a lot of wd40 where the rotor meets the hub try 2 pry bars and wiggle them from side toside or 1 on one side and tapping CAREFULLY outwards on the edge of the rotor on the other side Its very unlikely the p-brake shoes is holding it on,its not a Chevy !!!

Reply to
JohanB