Removing the Front Dash Panel

I've got a 1997 Explorer. My 12 volt cigarette lighter adapter - the one on the front dash to the left of the radio / CD player - is broken. I want to replace it, but need to remove the black plastic part of the dash that it is affixed to. It's like an black plastic oval on the face of the dash that encircles the heater and AC controls, radio, etc.

Does anyone know how to remove this? There are no visible screws. I thought I could just pry it off using a screw driver, but wanted to check to make sure before I do any damage.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
mrkennyg

Here's a link to a site that I ordered a cel phone mount from. I also got their hook tool kit:

tried to pry the overlay off of the dash, but I chickened out eventuallyand got to tool. You could make one with an icepick and a torch. Just bendthe point at a 90 degree angle about 1/2" from the tip. dave

Reply to
Dave

Two screws right above the radio need to be removed, and then you need to pull the actual radio.

You can get a radio "tool" at most stereo joints for a couple bucks. Heck I even saw them at Wal-Mart once...

but you can also use 4 nails and just stick them in and push them towards the outside.

Then the whole bezel is held in place with some spring clips so you must grab it and give it a "yank".

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Look for two screws above the a/c controls. Take these out. Also the radio is connected to this peice. I was helping a friend with his two thousand this weekend. And ended up pushing the radio and trim peice out together from the back by going through the glove box. The switches will come out with the trim peice so you will need to disconnect the harnesses from them.

Reply to
JaWise