Repair Estimate

So I dropped my car off at the local shop to get some work done yesterday. I knew it was riding rough and had some other pre-existing problems so I asked them to check out the radiator. They come back to me with a list of repairs and a big fat bill(no work done yet). So my question is for the work they are doing are the prices reasonable and also what work can I do myself?

So the total bill was $1600 Vehicle is a 1993 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4 door 138,000 miles and according to Blue Book the trade in value is only $1640 and the private sale value is $2790 This also raises the question is it worth that much to make the car reliable again.

Repairs needed are as follows

repair leaking fan clutch replace deteriorated fan blade replace heater core and flush radiator system replace power steering pump front left brake caliper is freezing up(assume replacement) replace ball joints also rotate and align after replacing ball joints

I am on my way to pick up the car and get an itemized estimate. What I have quoted was just from a telephone ceonverstaion.

Thanks, Jason

Reply to
Jason

Dread

I actually did just what you suggested by pricing the parts at a local store. The difference in parts alone was huge.

I actually misspoke earlier about the ball joints. It was actually the wheel bearings. Even so the repair shop quoted me $860 for the parts plus $840 for the labor. AutoZone was only $270 for the parts.

and I agree doing the work myself would be best I think.

Thanks for the help, Jason

Jason

Jason,

We do not know your skills, experience or what tools you have, so it's impossible to tell how much of this list you can do yourself. Unless you are experienced and confident (frankly, you don't sound like that) I would strongly recommend to leave safety-related tasks (brakes, suspension) to the pros. The heater core job is unpleasant and time consuming, but not mechanically challenging. I have heard of quotes in the $600-$1000 range for it (90% or more of that in labor). So if you want to save money and have the time and the guts, get your hands on the shop manual and do this one yourself.

Reply to
Happy Traveler