Repair Window Lifters?

Anyone ever managed (or even tried) to fix any of those hydraulic window lifters? The ones on my '91 rear window are shot and it costs about $50 for new ones. The warning labels on them make it sound like if you take them apart you will end up walking around with a steel shaft sticking out of your head. I figure they probably need about 50 cents worth of O-Rings and maybe some new oil. Are they pressurized at the factory or does compressing them pressurize them enough? Any tips on taking them apart?

Thanks.

Reply to
Ulysses

"Ulysses" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Looks like they are about $12 each at Rockauto.com.

There is no way to fix them. They are not hydraulic, they are gas charged, nitrogen I believe. There is no way you can charge them with any home equipment. You are not going to find them cheaper than Rockauto.com. I know because I just researched it and bought them there. So just buy them and be done with it.

Reply to
akheel

Akheel, did you get your rear air working?

/richard

innews: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Reply to
Richard

OK then. Thanks.

Reply to
Ulysses

Whack 'em with a hammer? What next? Cut a shock open with a tubing cutter and fix it with home depot parts?

You're not "thrifty", you're just plain "cheap"....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Yes I did, thanks for asking. All it needed was an actuator. Took about an hour because I was being careful. If I did it again, I could do it in half an hour. I took apart the old actuator, and, as another poster here also reported, it's a little 20 cent plastic gear inside that goes bad. Team Ford Parts out of Las Vegas best place to get the replacement

$34 if I remember correctly, about half of what your local dealer will want.

Richard wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@w28g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
akheel

Yes, I am cheap. I was thinking more of Ace Hardware because they have a better selection of O-Rings and springs etc.

Reply to
Ulysses

I was thinking drill a small hole in them and pump in some bars leaks. Tap a dimple with a small hammer for a flat spot to start the drill.

Reply to
Bob

Jeez... you're friggin' near as cruel as I am...................

Reply to
Jim Warman