Replace in-dash lightbulbs on 1995 Explorer XLT

Howdy, I have a light bulb or 2 (in particular, behind the fuel gauge) that have gone out. The dealer (while estimating other maintenance charges) said it'd be $80 to replace the bulbs. I can live without them for $80, but the price makes me suspect that 99% is labor charges, meaning 1.5 hours worth of work. Is this a correct assumption? (for a first time bulb changer?)

At any rate, can I get replacement bulbs at my local Autozone or Pep Boys?

Also, what is involved in replacing the bulbs? Are there a series of screws I take out to pop the dash off, or do I just reach behind and feel my way?

One last question, my odometer stops working from time to time (I hear a clicking when it stops turning, so my guess is it's cable driven and the gears are skipping), while I'm changing the bulbs will I be able to get to and diagnose the problem with the odometer?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
flakrat

See

. Haven'tdone this myself, but have the same bulb burned out on the wife's '95. I'llreplace all the bulbs so I only have to do it once.

Reply to
Bob Kegel

The illumination bulbs are #194.

Get the 194LL bulbs, if you can. They have longer rated lives.

Reply to
JonnyCab®

Mike, I just replaced all of my bulbs in my 95 Explorers dash. I noticed a few would go out and after a while only one worked. I bought my bulbs from Wal-Mart. There's quite a bit of labor to unscrew all of those screws but the whole job took me about an hour to complete. From

1 to 10, 10 being the worst I would say it is about a 7.

HD

Reply to
Harley D.

Reply to
flakrat

Has anyone seen these photos...it appears to be pretty detailed:

fuzzie