Replace thermostat in 2000 V8?

I have a 2000 Eddie Bauer AWD, so it has the V8. The symptoms my wife is describing sound like the thermostat is stuck open (temp gauge never budges from cold, interior heater works but is weaker than usual). I know replacing a thermostat is easy, but how much junk is in the way that has to be removed to reach the thermostat? I don't have this car here or I'd just go out and look myself. Thanks in advance!

Reply to
fork

It shoudn't be too hard if it is like my 1996 Explorer 5L V8. On top of the engine in the front. Beware that my bypass hose had different diameters at the thermostat housing and at the water pump. They are now available at AutoZone. You may have to cut an end to size. The belt may be in the way, but I did mine without letting the tension off of the belt. I also replaced the upper and lower hose and replaced the antifreeze at the same time since I was working on the cooling system and was going to get dirty anyway.

Reply to
William Dawes

Thanks.

Reply to