Replacement Stereo/CD Player in '92

The stereo in my wife's '92 EB finally expired after a long, slow, agonizing death. Can I just buy a standard stereo and put it in there somehow? Every car stereo I've installed in the past attached to the dash with nuts on the volume/tuning shafts. The Ford stereo (it says Sony on the case) pops into place with spring fasteners that I've not seen before. Is this a problem when installing a Pioneer/Alpine or whatever? Are the wire connectors fairly standard or will I need some kind of adapter or do a lot of cutting and splicing? I'm looking for just a basic AM/FM CD unit, not one with both CD and cassette. Anyone put in one they are real happy with? This car does not have the rear speaker (I think they call it "Premium Sound"). She doesn't need a superpowerful killer stereo, just one that sounds good.

Thanks.

Reply to
Ulysses

I transferred an Alpine CD player over to the '93 Explorer I acquired in May with no problems. The unit I have slides into a cage that fits into the dash with some tabs that bend out; it fit right into the factory opening with no issues.

When you buy your stereo, pick up the wiring harness adapter at the same time. Costs around $20, and makes it easy to install.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Thanks Kevin. Sounds much easier than what I feared.

"
Reply to
Ulysses