Resonator blew . . . Computer reset?

Yesterday the Resonator on my '92 blew out (I'll just remove it later today) but after I heard it let go the motor seemed to falter for a few moments before everything became normal again. Could this be the computer resetting from a difference in back pressure?

Also, my rear differential Pinion seal is leaking. If I change it myself I'm a bit worried about getting the pre-load on the crush washer right. Has anyone had Ford (or other garage) do this work this year (2005?) I'm interested in what price estimate you received or what you actually paid.

NickD

Reply to
NickD

Possibly, it could also be then when it blew it momentarily created a blockage causing high back pressure and reduced engine power, then the back pressure blew the clog out.

Mine developed a leak a couple years ago, which I noticed when I was under the vehicle looking at something else. There was what seemed like a lot of grease flung off onto the underside of the vehicle. I called Ford Dealer and they wanted something like $250 to replace the seal. The local garage wanted a little less then half that. I checked the fluid level and it was OK and I didn't really trust the local garage to do the crush collar thing properly, and didn't want to pay Fords Price so I just watched it for a few months and it stopped leaking without doing anything so I never did have it fixed. Like you, I was a bit worried that if I did it myself I'd get the preload screwed up. So for two years that sleeping dog has been allowed to lay there.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Just an update on my orignial post for those in the same boat . . .

I had the Resonator removed and replaced with a plain pipe that is welded in place. I had it done at a local Mom & Pop muffler shop. Total cost, $40.00.

The leaking rear differential pinion seal I took to a Ford dealer and the estimate to replace it was $225.00. I said go ahead but asked to have a word with the mechanic first. When I started talking to the mechanic about the torque being just right and all that, he said, "Don't worry, Nick, I've done hundreds of these." I thanked him and also slipped him a twenty dollar bill.

It took about an hour and a quarter and the bill in total was $178.00

These prices are for Southern California.

NickD

Reply to
NickD