Rid of My Explorer! Whew!

4.0 L guzzled the gas and was gutless! Rust problems - electronic issues....I'm outta here, you'll see me in the passing lane now but not at the gas pumps!
Reply to
Lori

Don't let the door hit you in the ass....... '92 Exploder - just sqaucked the tires hard leaving work tonight (didn't think it would happen). Great gas mileage with little in the way of anything more than oil changes/scheduled maintenance.....

I get the feeling that you will have problems with ANYTHING you buy.

Jim Warman

Congratulations. Let us know when you buy a car with no problems.

Reply to
SizzleMP

I always love people who buy a vehicle, don't do anything but pour gas, and an occasional can of oil into it, and drive it till it physically stops, and then complain about what a POS it is.

It's funny how hard some people can be on cars. My friend picked up a used station wagon for his ex-wife, from a neighbor. This thing was the typical little old lady's car. 5 yrs old, and had no mileage, and was always in the garage. It looked like a NEW car.

His wife drove it for 6 months, and it looked 30 yrs old. the inside was crusted with crap, carpet embedded with cigarette butts. the trim on the dash was melted from an ashtray fire cuz she was too lazy to empty it (and if she did, I'm sure it would have been in a grocery store parking lot).

Scrapes and dents up and down the sides, Tires ripped up from curb checking.

And all she did was bitch about what a POS her ex "stuck" her with ...

Reply to
Chief Wiggum

I think you're being a bit harsh, Jim

On the gas issue, my 92 is pretty good - so I don't with the poster on that. And one should know going in that superb gas mileage is not something to expect from most SUVs.

But as much as we love our Explorers or WANT to love them, 91&92 were very bad years - and the vehicle reliability isn't that high for some other years either.

My garaged 92 XLT 4-door (65,500 miles) is probably one of the best maintained vehicles in the US. It is INSANELY maintained. I do all the maintenance myself to exact spec. I wax everything INCLUDING parts of the bottom, such as skid plates, drive shafts, front springs, even the door wells, engine compartments and door hinges (MY GOD). Any sign of surface rest immediately is covered with a light of coat of Rust-Oleum. Drive shafts slip yokes are greased regularly, as well as brake caliper slide rails (with dielectric compound).

But if I am going to be honest, I have to say that number of problems I have had (and the other looming potential problems) really are unacceptable.

Right now I am dealing with three:

You already know about the rusting quarter panels, the result of Ford's leaving HOLES in the wheel wells during manufacture and omitting the interior e-coat, issues detailed in a TSB. GEEZE!

I've also posted that the piston bracket broke off the vehicle hatch two weeks ago - an item subject to a safety recall

After lunch today, I am going to put a clamp on yet another loose heat shield.

Other things I have had (just off the top of my head)

Improperly torqued head gasket (TSB) Leaking valve cover gasket (TSB) Bad radius arm bushings (TSB) Horrible transfer case shift motor (Yes, I am still am using the little drummer boy approach. Works every time) Unsafe tires (Alright, blame Firestone, but they came with the truck. My Firestones were falling apart with more than half the tread still on them!) Cassette player that sometimes loses left channel (I have the JBL system) Cassette player/radio that simply goes dead intermittently, losing display and everything Exhaust system subject to premature failure (TSB - who designed that dumb resonator anyway?) Dimples in the seat belt tracks, preventing seats from moving back and forth (TSB - known safety issue) Broken spring or spring attachment in door handle (there's another post on this right now) Constant coolant leak from some unidentifiable place in or around the radiator (maybe that valve thing people talk about)

All this and only 65,500 miles!

And based upon TSBs and what I've seen here, I fully expect to see the following at some point:

Rubber plugs to fall out of my manual tranny Armrest to break (TSB - I try to be easy on mine, though I probably should have broken it off while the vehicle still was under warranty) Self-destruction of the air conditioner Self-destruction of auto hubs due to use of plastic components Spare tire falling out of the bottom of the truck and killing someone

I am sure I can think of more.

But my point is, as a consumer journalist, I simply could not argue with anyone who complains about the quality of the 91-92 models (though I know that the original poster did not mention the vehicle year.) Yet my friends who drive Toyotas, for example, never have ANYTHING, NOT A SINGLE THING go wrong during the first years of service - at least for the Corollas and Camrys. (Oh, once one complained about a loose piece of weather stripping on a Corolla)

And based on Ford's unwillingness to fix what it itself acknowledges as shortcomings in some cases, I simply could not justify ever buying another Ford. And that's sad because I really have been loyal to that company and would love to have a new Explorer (though the lack of a manual tranny now also discourages me, and I don't like the design. The new Mountaineers look downright foolish.).

But as I've said in the past, for Ford, not only is quality not Job #1, it is not even on the list.

I am not looking to start a flame war here, but I have to be honest with myself and everyone else, even though I love my poor rusting and mechanically defective XLT.

You can see it here:

With sad regards, Anthony Giorgianni

(I prefer that you reply by posting back to the newsgroup. If you must email: remove "killspam" from reply address. This email address will be valid for a short time only.)

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

OK! Floor it whenever the light turns green! Don't change the oil! Leave road salt all over it for months! Treat it like a rental car! Beat the

*hell* out of it! See ya!

There should be a minimum IQ test on the order form...

Reply to
JonnyCab®

People like her are too *stupid* to realize that they're advertising their own blatant *ignorance* to the entire world...

Whew!

Reply to
JonnyCab®

Anthony, I guess I'm quite opposite from many people...... the Explorer, the SuperCrew, the ol' farts motorcycle....... they're all machines -tools, if you will- and they are destined from day one to break and/or wear out.

I'm not gentle on mine..... I expect it to do what I need it to do (though I consider myself wise enough to know what I can't expect it to do). We just passed 170,000 km with the Ex... not quite 105,000 miles. 20 years ago, considering our climate, 105,000 miles have left us with a hurtin' unit (subzero starts are probably the single hardest thing on an infernal (sic) combustion engine). A month or so ago, I drove the thing to Calgary, 7 or 8 hours to the south. Better than half the trip was on a 110kph speed limited road so you can guess at what the "unofficial" speed limit is. Not so much as a hiccup.

I bought it with the broken armrest (not a bad design in itsef until us porky dudes use it to help lever out butts into a comfortable position) and brand new tires. I fixed the armrest (per the TSB), replaced the intake gaskets, did the manual hub thing and I'm due for a muffler (where I live, mufflers generally do about 3 or 4 years..... period). I had the shift motor thing a couple of times but it returned to normal with exercise. The only complaint with the sound system is from the added in Sony 10 pack. For some reason or another, one of the camber slugs on the top ball joints rotated and threw the alignment off....... I have a VBSEG on my face when I say I aligned it the night before I left for Calgary - GAD!!!! I LOVE TOOLS!!! Of course, I do have the ubiquitous Ex rust..... everything I've ever owned has developed rust.... no surprises here.

Let us not forget that 4X4s have many more parts.... many more moving parts that are subject to the same breakage and wear I mentioned earlier. Again, there are times that I'm surprised something lasted as long as it did rather than surprised it broke or wore out. Cost per mile on a 4WD or AWD will ALWAYS be higher than cost per mile on a 2WD... and that brings us to another little considered point. If I'm out hunting or exploring, I do it in two wheel drive..... I go in until I get stuck and use the 4WD to get out and go home or elsewhere. If we go in in 4WD, it just means we have a longer walk ahead of us 8^)

Regular oil changes every 3,000 or 3 months and I spend 10 or 15 minutes looking at stuff while I have it up.

You're quite right..... it's an SUV - a truck in sheeps clothing. If gas consumption is an issue, the last thing a person should consider is a 4000# "pig". I live in pickup truck country so I have no misconceptions about good and poor gas mileage, finding the EX to be very easy on gas (don't forget I got rid of a '93 F150 4X4 with the 351 to get the Ex.... if ya wanna talk bad gas miles....). It's fun to drive (that's worth something). It's easier than some to work on.... another plus. That list goes on and on....

Harsh??? Not me..... Calling a spade a shovel ain't gonna change what it is so I may just as well call it a spade and be done with it..

Jim Warman

300,000 miles, org. engine, NO major problems..I do not understand how people say that '92's are not good trucks. I would buy another '92 right now. I have had the shift motor problem...NOT a major thing. I have gotten 100,000 miles per trans. rebuild NOT bad and I still get 22+ miles per. gal...Do not have the 1/4 panel rust thing..can't find said hole..don't know what that is about...The Explorer is like any other car/truck on the road...take care of it and it WILL take care of you...This truck has NEVER failed me anytime. It lives in Reno,NV. and spends quite a bit of time in the mountains winter, summer etc. It is also a daily driver and I will not even think of getting rid of it. We bought it with two (2) miles ( that is brand new) for $18,000. I do believe we got our dollars worth..... Some people are never happy with what they have.....
Reply to
thunder

Glad you're having better luck with yours, Jim.

But I really think that your problem with rust generally up there, leaving a hole in the wheel well for road salt and other stuff to run down the inside of the wheel well AND leaving out the e-coat is really bad designing or building or whatever the source of this problem was.

At least I would have prefered to have something in the owner's manual saying: Caution: we left a hole in the right wheel well. Please have it filled before using your new truck or, as an alternative, never get your Explorer wet.

At least then I could have done something to prevent having what now looks like a showroom new truck (it took a lot of blood and sweat on my part to achieve this) marred by rusted through quarter panels!

And all these TSBs really are a bit much, not to mention shift motors, transmission plugs and all the other stuff. I think that we loyal Ford owners deserve better. Furthermore, it is very irritating for the company to admit it sold vehicles with a substantial defect and then fail to make good on it. Ideally, I should try to get a class action suit going on this, since I really think there is a reasonable breach of warranty claim here, at least in the 13 US states that prohibit manufacturers from waiving the implied warranty of merchantability, which is part of the US Uniform Commercial Code. But it really shouldn't even have to come to that. A responsible company should make good on such things.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

Thunder, I don't think I have seen a single 91-92 model up here in the Northeast without rusted through corner panels. There may be some, but I sure haven't seen them.

It also seems strange that your escaped all the problems listed in all the TSBs. But I suppose it is possible you lucked out. But did your not come with an exhaust resonator? Is it still there? How about your radius arms bushings? Are those still original?

Again, there is very little chance that you or anyone else on this group takes as good care of their Explorer as I do, and I'll even include Jim Warman in that, and there have been many problems.

But I am very happy to hear about that 300,000 on the original engine. It gives me hope!

As for the hole, mine is on the forward part of the right wheel well where two brackets come together at a 90 degree angle. You can stick a pencil in right where they join. This is the subject of as TSB that Ford printed twice. It applies to 91, 92 and some 93 models. It is interesting, if I understand you correctly, that you drive on salted winter roadways and have quarter panels that do not resemble something corn flakes when you push on them with your thumb.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

Good for you. You made the right decision. Can't wait to dump my POS

1999 Exploder! Next purchase is a Toyota. I can waive at all those Exploders I pass broken down on the side of the road soon. :-)

No computer components were harmed during the creation of this post, however several billion electrons were abused to ensure its safe delivery.

Reply to
Blade

Then, pray tell, why are you busy with a group that basically appreciates the Explorer>

Guzzled gas = wasn't a car..... Gutless = wasn't a car. No specifics, just kvetching...... I'm sure that the toyota NGs will appreciate you complaining about the issues that Toyota has (may come as a surprise but, in spite of what the ads say, there is no perfect car). Your post has been eminently pointless and speaks more about you than the car....

Yes yur Camry will get good gas miles. No your Camry wont be gutless...... but then your Camry wont be a SUV either....

Jim Warman

Imagine that---a troll replying to his own message.

Reply to
JonnyCab®

That's how I felt when I dumped my 95 Foreskinner..

Numerous recalls for the head gasket, Shit gas mileage, totally GUTLESS, interior coming apart (rear door pulls come off in your hand) Overall noisy, harsh ride, Dashboard that cracked from the heat of the sun. .. electronics package as advanced at a 74 Corolla

When I jumped into an Explorer in 96, and took it for a drive (and realized what a HUGE mistake I made with the Toyota) I saw what a REAL SUV could ride like ! Rear Air, about the same mileage, but power to spare ! Keyless entry, electronic compass, electronic thermometer, 110% nicer interior... If I weren't so UPSIDE DOWN in the Toyota, I would have dumped it right then and there! (Oh, but Toyota's REALLY hold their value ).... Evidently only when you are BUYING one ....

Anyway, Now I have TWO 96 Explorers, both with over 100k on them, and I have never looked back!

You like your Toyota ? Great, good for you. As for me, I wouldn't take one for free.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on ME !

Reply to
Chief Wiggum

My Explorer has never let me down. I've let it down once. And havent since. The one who says their Explorer let them down, should ask "When have I let my Explorer down"

95 XLT 2WD 162,000 Miles

TSB on the Rear Door Hatch Fixed

Rebuild Tranny @ 106,000 Miles Spring 2001 (due to my ignorance of maitenence and not changing the fluid AT ALL

106,000miles on Orig. Tranny with Orig. Fluid before it burned itself up. Not something to be proud of, but the tranny held up for 106,000 miles with me being a idiot and not changing the fluid. Now that I think about it, I think "Wow, I cant believe it lasted that long") I have learned from the past, the FOMOCO Rebuilt Tranny gets its juice changed ever 15K

Other then those 2 problems (1 being my fault) I have had no problems with this truck what so ever.

Routine Brakes/rotors, Hoses, Belts, Fuses, a few relays, a can of R-134a, Idler Tensioner Pully (@ 145K) - Im on my 3rd Battery. Orig. lasted 3 years, 2nd battery lasted 4 years, Im on my 3rd battery- with one year on it already These are items, i dont care who makes your car, Jap-German-American will need to be replaced.

Had a brake issue last fall with the ABS. An issue caused by a bunch of morons at a local Tucson, AZ brake shop. An issue fixed by those morons and verified fixed by a dealer.

I drive this beast hard. Through the gawd awful heat and dust of Southern Arizona, and West and South Texas. Down the interstates, down the backroads, down the city streets. I push my truck hard, but I reward it well with tender loving care. I have no rust as I have never driven on Ice or Salt.

I sit here and wonder when people complain about their SUV, how they take care of it. Or even if they take care of it.

Im greatly anticipating the new 2004 F150. Can't wait to get my hands on one of those. The Explorer needs some company in the driveway.

Good day everyone.

Erik

Reply to
Erik Trevino

I do think that the 95-2000 models were more reliable than the originals, not to mention that those were the nicest-looking Explorers.

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

I certainly wish I was as fortunate as you.As I type I wonder when my 97' XLT will be ready, the dealer promised me some time last week. It's now getting a transmission. After all after two transfer cases it seems that would be the next thing to go. It seems the tranny they fot from ford parts had to be remove and rebuilt. After this it still wouldn't run. So they ordered another one. The short block replaced at 36240 miles.

Maybe Ford does make a good product but it certainly has not graced my driveway.

Incidently, The vehicle was pampered maybe that's what was wrong.

George

Reply to
Pakgeorge

You know George, you may be on to something

Yours was pampered. Mine is the best maintained Explorer on the planet - and we're having problems.

Folks such as Jim Warman acknowledge hard use. Yet they seem to have excellent reliability. Maybe it is our approach. When I get my 92 back from the dealer later today to replace the torn liftgate bracket maybe I'll beat the hell out of it. Who knows, maybe the rusted quarter panels will fix themselves! :o)

Reply to
Anthony Giorgianni

Jimmy,

You are such a self righteous twit.

Ford's are low value, low quality pieces of crap...

"Jim Warman" wrote in news:4%gSa.23439$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.telusplanet.net:

Reply to
Herbie