Right Rear rusting

Well, after 230K miles of driving through snowstorms and off road on muddy trails in the NE and continuing to run flawlessly, my 1997 Explorer is developing rust around the fuel filler area on the left rear. The rust is coming from the inside out, likely because there is no fender liner and salt splash gets up into this area and sits. I have now noticed some other Exploeres with the same pattern. No other rust is visible elsewhere. I ordered this one new and received it in the Fall of 1996.

What can be done about this and what should I expect to pay? I've looked at other new vehicles and, frankly, none of them appeal to me. Admittedly, the major problem is my strong preference for manual transmission (which my '97 has), but Ford saw fit to drop that option. The Jeeps you can get manual on are noticably smaller and the Hummer H3 is not sold within 50 miles of here. I am perfectly happy with my Explorer, but the rust thing...comments appreciated.

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein