Rough idle when cold

My '98 Explorer (V6) idles rough when cold but will accelerate and drive fine. After a few minutes of warmup it idles fine. Anyone have any suggestions as to which sensor or other component to look at first and how to troubleshoot it? Thanks.

dj

Reply to
Don Johnson

There was a recall on this (intake manifold gaskets) a couple of years ago. After the seals warm up, they seal, and you rough idle disappears. wth

Reply to
wth

Was it a recall or a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)?

Reply to
Penguin

Take a look at the IAC valve before assuming it might be the intake gaskets. That is usually the culprit of bad idles. Take it out and clean it. If you still have the problem, then I would think it might be the intake gaskets.

Reply to
SizzleMP

I think it was a TSB but they extended the warranty to 5yrs/60k miles for these parts.

Reply to
JaWise

What is the IAC valve? (Please pardon my ignorance.) I'm having the same problem.

Reply to
Zeus03

It's what regulates the idle speed on your engine. It's a little round "can" that varies the amount of air that goes through it to change your idle speed.

Reply to
JaWise

It's usually mounted right on the intake manifold. On my 99 Explorer, if you remove the "SOHC" plastic shroud, it sits directly on top of the intake manifold( or plenum) similiar to where a carburator is usually mounted on an old car.

Reply to
SizzleMP