Serpentine Belt -- Part Number?

Hello, just purchased a new serpentine belt for my 1998 Explorer EB, V8 from one of my local Ford dealers. Now that I'm home I noticed a slight difference in the Ford part numbers and wonder if I purchased the correct belt?

The old belt on my truck has the part number F77E-8620-PA and the new belt part number is F77Z-8620-PB. My Ford Technical Service Publication CD indicates the part number 8620, but does not mention the F77E/Z or the PA/B. Before I go removing the old belt I want to be sure I have the correct replacement.

Thank you,

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

You could always do what the pros do.... take the old belt off and compare it to the new belt...... always compare it to the old belt before beginning the (sometimes) arduous task of installing it.... never fail to compare the belts before beginning the arduous task of installing the new belt.... DId I mention that it is a good idea to compare the old belt to the new belt to be sure you have the right one?

There's an old saying.... "Many's the slip twixt the cup and the lip....". Auto parts seem to be especially prone... Someone that doesn't care about numbers, compiles the parts descriptions.... someone that dosesn't care about car parts compiles the numbers and someone that doesn't care about parts or numbers produces the catalogue. If the partsman is good, he wont add to the problem and may even know if a catalogue error exists or not (horrors!!! others besides techs can screw up!!). If the partsman is not so good, all bets are off.

Ford has used the base part number '8620' to describe a FEAD belt (formerly fan belt) for many years.... since we know the part is a FEAD belt, the point is moot. There may be a change in engineering part numbers (since all the belts I use are properly referred to by a motorcraft #.... JK(number of grooves)-(length of belt).... ) to denote a different part entirely, a change in composition, a change in technology incorporated into the production run, even a change in packaging can trigger a change inengineering numbers.

You could receive a flood of anecdotal coincedences, tales, tales unrelated but significant and juhior in the basement jerking your chain as hard as he can and be no nearer the answer to your question..... Your best and most reliable solution is to bac away from the computer, reduce the seat/chair interface, boldly grasp the appropriate tool and prove it to yourself one way or the other.

Feelin' kinda frisky tonight.... is there a full moon????

Reply to
Jim Warman

Even having verified the number, I found my "genuine Ford" belt was somehow bigger than the original one (well, it "must" have been looser because it squealed badly). I only arrived at that conclusion after also replacing the idler pulley and tensioner (since the tensioner is a well-known failure item anyway and both their bearings seemed in poor shape).

So, after replacing the other items and still having a horrendous squeal (which naturally only became evident AFTER I tossed out the old belt), I went to the auto parts store and got one (cheaper, natch!) from them. Ever so slightly smaller, it was difficult to even convince myself it WAS smaller. But it was clearly the same thickness, width and grooving. However, it went on with more difficultly (having to displace the tensioner more.

At last, there is no more squeal.

Oh, and there IS a physical difference in the idler pulley - the new one is flat, not with the "shoulders". Different part number? Dunno. But I was at their counter insisting they gave me the wrong part. I conceded, kept it, and it seems to work fine.

Reply to
Herb Kauhry

The tensioner was a recall item, if anyone out here didn't know that. At least it was on my '97. I had almost the same problem noisy start up, But the belt looked fine, no cracks or abrasions. But that damn noise!!!! Where was it coming from I listened to all the bearings and all sounded smooth running. I again looked at the belt, still it looked fine. But that noise is driving me crazy, so I bought a new belt from NAPA and the noise went away! My guess is the belt was stretched ever so slightly that it would cause the tensioner to rattle, even after it was replaced.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher 1

I learned about that one the hard way -- bought a replacement radiator hose for a Mazda 626. it didn't fit. Went somewhere else and bought one; it was a different brand, but the same as the first. Took it back, along with the hose I was trying to replace.

It took the guy about 30 minutes of comparing the part I brought in to every hose they had to find me the right hose.

Whoever compiled the 3rd party book was obviously WAY wrong on that hose for that car, and the aftermarket companies had all followed the same wrong info.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Ok, the new belt was the same size, length/width, as the old, and installed perfectly, once I found an extra short 15mm socket for my 1/2 inch breaker bar.

Interesting you should mention 'noisy start up,' as this is the reason I replaced the belt! When I took the vehicle in for the "noisy start up" the service adviser said it was the belt that needed replacement, even though I thought it was something else since the noise is only present when cold and goes away once the vehicle warms up.

The old belt has ~53,000 miles on it, looks fine, no cracks at all. Since the '98 Explorer still has the problem with the new belt installed, I guess I will make another appointment and see what they say now :o(

Thanks to every> The tensioner was a recall item, if anyone out here didn't know that. At

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

Jim, my receipt indicated:

JK6*943*AA - V-BELT JK6*942*AA - REPLACING PART-NO. FOR ABOVE PART

My dealer must use a smiler number to what your use too. The F77 number I used in my original post was taken from the belt/package part itself. The new belt was the same size, length/width/ribs, as the old one from what I could tell.

Thank you,

Steven

Jim Warman wrote:

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

Whoops.... my bad... I had thought you were the original poster and had neglected to include some valuable information. My apologies...

Reply to
Jim Warman

"Jim Warman" wrote: > Whoops.... my bad... I had thought you were the original > poster and had > neglected to include some valuable information. My > apologies...

Quote:"The old belt on my truck has the part number F77E-8620-PA and the new belt part number is F77Z-8620-PB. My Ford Technical Service Publication CD indicates the part number 8620, but does not mention the F77E/Z or the PA/B. Before I go removing the old belt I want to be sure I have the correct replacement. "

This is too late to probably help you but...here?s the deal. Ford has

3 part numbers assigned to belts. "8620" designates it as a belt. The F77E-PA, is considered an engineering number (what they put on the vehicle). The F77Z-PB number, is the Ford Service P/N that they sell in the parts department at dealers (you can always tell the service number because the 4th digit is a "Z"). The JK6-943AA/JK6-942AA are Ford Motorcraft P/N?s that are sold at many parts stores. Basically, they?re all the same size. I work in belt engineering for somebody that makes Ford belts. Hope this helps.
Reply to
MoRambler

MoRambler, thanks for the information, timely or not. It's interesting to learn that the 'Z' in the Ford part number indicates it is a 'service' part (replacement??), and not likely a part installed during the vehicle build. BTW, the replacement belt fit perfectly.

Thanks again,

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

"Steven Hilgendorf1" wrote: > MoRambler wrote: > > "Jim Warman" wrote: >  > > Whoops.... my bad... I had thought you were the > original >  > > poster and had >  > > neglected to include some valuable information. My >  > > apologies... > > > > Quote:"The old belt on my truck has the part number > F77E-8620-PA and > > the new belt part number is F77Z-8620-PB. My Ford Technical > Service > > Publication CD indicates the part number 8620, but does not > mention > > the F77E/Z or the PA/B. Before I go removing the old belt I > want to be > > sure I have the correct replacement. " > > > > This is too late to probably help you but...here?s the deal. > Ford has > > 3 part numbers assigned to belts. "8620" designates it as a > belt. > > The F77E-PA, is considered an engineering number (what they > put on the > > vehicle). The F77Z-PB number, is the Ford Service P/N that > they sell > > in the parts department at dealers (you can always tell the > service > > number because the 4th digit is a "Z"). The > JK6-943AA/JK6-942AA are > > Ford Motorcraft P/N?s that are sold at many parts stores. > Basically, > > they?re all the same size. > > I work in belt engineering for somebody that makes Ford > belts. Hope > > this helps. > > > > MoRambler, thanks for the information, timely or not. It's > interesting > to learn that the 'Z' in the Ford part number indicates it is > a > 'service' part (replacement??), and not likely a part > installed during > the vehicle build. BTW, the replacement belt fit perfectly. > > Thanks again, > > Steven

No problem Steven, glad to help. "Typically", the Ford Service part is exactly the same as the Ford Engineering part as far as dimensions go. There "could" be a slight difference in materials however. Both of them would be considered quality parts however. Our company (Dayco) along with both Gates and Goodyear produce belts for Ford (and many others). The service lines we all produce are all made with top quality materials. Ford has changed back and forth the last several years between us and Goodyear to supply their service parts. The only difference in buying a traditional aftermarket belt is that all of us will usually round to the nearest 1/4 or 1/2" dimension when applying a replacement belt. Due to the metric dimensions used today, this makes it a little tougher, because of in-between sizes. Even so, the belts are quite functional.

Reply to
MoRambler