shift lever problems !!

I have a 95 Explorer, Auto transmission. I have two "symptoms" which I think are due to the same problem, if someone can tell me the problem and how to fix it.

  1. When I shift from Park to Reverse, the backup lights don't go on. If I shift past Reverse to Drive, then back to Reverse, I can usually get them to go on.

  1. Sometimes, shift lever in Park, I turn the key to start it and nothing happens. If I reach over with my left hand and pull the shift lever a little to the left, it starts.

It must be something about the exact position of the shift lever. Anyone know what I should do?

Thanks for all advice, Rod

Reply to
rod

The gear selector lever is out of adjustment on the transmission. The HAYNES Manual provides pretty good explanation on adjusting this. You can pick up a HAYNES manual from Autozone, Advance Auto or any good car store. The Selector lever on on the side of teh Transmission and needs to be adjusted. The instructions are very simple and you can do it in under 1/2 hr TOPs!! Good luck.

Reply to
CecilB