shocks/struts

Just had my 97 Explorer XLT (135k miles) in the shop and they told me I needed new struts on the front and new shocks on the rear. What is the difference between shocks and struts and why does the front need one and the rear the other? Thank you.

Reply to
Derek

A '97 that needs front struts........ I'd like to think it might have been a slip of someones tongue but I have this nagging voice in the back of my head screaming "Back away....... NOW".

With this amount of time and mileage, your current shocks will have degraded slowly enough that you have yet to notice anything extrordinary - new, quality pieces will surprise you as to how ride quality has degraded since new. I have a problem with the shops usage of the term struts when talking about the front. "Struts" brings visions of high parts prices and large labour quotes since struts are more complex in physical design, absorb different forces and require more time to install than the shocks you do have.

Parts and labour costs for the front should closely mimic parts and labour prices for the rear. If your shops pricing reflects this, OK... if the fronts are sky high compared to the rear, find a different shop. Be aware that, if you have the active suspension, it's gonna hurt either way.

The nitty gritty. Both shocks and struts dampen suspension action (without dampers, the springs would constantly try to find equalibrium..... bouncing, bouncing, bouncing, boun..... ). Shocks attach one end to the frame and one end to a suspension component.... usually a control arm. Struts attach one end to frame and one end to steering knuckle. There are two kinds of struts. The MacPherson strut is a coil over design while the modified MacPherson strut is a coil beside design. A shock absorber doesn't need to absorb side forces while the strut (as a component of the steering system as well as being a component of the suspensions system) needs to absorb side loads and twisting loads.

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

Struts on the front??? Thats funny, I have a 97 XLT and mine has shocks. Incedently, I just replaced them myself for $120. and about an hour of my time with Rancho RS 5000's. Leave the mechanic and go to your nearest auto parts store and ask them about replacements for yours, I am sure you will be surprised. BTW, The difference that you will notice is immediate. The other poster was very right about your not noticing the ride quality.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher

Rule #1..... I'm ALWAYS right...

Rule #2 If I'm not right, refer to rule #1......

Just jokin', folks.....

Reply to
Jim Warman

The wife's '95 Explorer has the air ride suspension and 135K miles. As you say, we haven't noticed anything extraordinary. The shocks aren't leaking and the diagnostic panel says the system is OK. The Explorer spends most of its time on paved roads in good condition.

Replacing the air ride shocks will cost about $800 in parts alone. Does the air ride system compensate for wear or would that $800 produce a dramatic improvement?

Reply to
Bob Kegel

That's kind of a double edged sword, Bob.... With that kind of miles I would certainly expect a $250 improvement in ride quality (roughly what regular shocks would cost). I would NOT expect to see an $800 improvement in ride quality.

With the costs associated with interactive suspensions, I (personally) would be inclined to wait for something more identifiable in the way of problems. Your shocks will have experienced some degradation in ride quality (erosion will occur in the piston ports) just as surely as a stream will round off jagged rocks but I would question whether it is economically sound to pump that much money into an aging automobile. Much of what I do is based on judgement calls - this is one of those times.

As a side note..... active suspensions offer some interesting and 'nifty' benefits. For my own part, I doubt that I would feel the difference in ride height and it's associated CofG improvements with my driving style. I would be hard pressed to purchase a vehicle with this amount of added complexity.

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

Just had it done on our '96 Limited (with air ride) at 140K miles. It made a world of difference. It was wallowing and weaving at Interstate speeds and beating us to death on bad roads. With working shocks, it actually handles *well*. Was that worth $800 for parts? Well, paying the bill I wished I had an XLT without air ride...

Be aware that as someone else discovered, the replacement shocks no longer have electronic damping adjustment. Originally, the air ride shocks would supposedly change from soft to firm damping based on speed, steering angle, size of bumps in the road, and a host of other factors. The current replacment shocks don't do that, they only adjust ride height and spring rate with the air system. The diagnostic system doesn't seem to notice, but it also didn't notice when the alternator went out on a Sunday night in the middle of Iowa in 8 degree weather....

Reply to
David E.B. Smith

At least the alternator went out while it was still warm out 8^)

Reply to
Jim Warman

The 98 does not have struts. Its like my 97. They just have plain shock absorbers - front and back. They are extremely easy to replace (monroe, kyb, gabriel, etc).

Reply to
tobybul

I recently had the shocks on my 99 XLT replaced at 90K miles. They weren't leaking and still seemed to be working fine. I just figured it had to be time. Replacements are Monroe Reflex. Unfortunately I can't say that I notice any difference in ride or handling. :^(

Reply to
Jerry

You're driving style is probably similar to mine.... while I enjoy the twisty bits on my scooter, I generally turn into a sedentary old fart behind the wheel of either of my vehicles (92 Ex and 02 Supercrew). I really don't push the envelope hard enough to have my shocks working at their limits.

Reply to
Jim Warman