Should I buy a '01 or '02 explorer?

Turning to the collective for input on this:

In terms of reliability, overall satisfaction, etc, etc - would I better off buying a 2001 EB V8 with 38,000 KM, or a 2002 EB V8 with approx 59,000 KM?

I've been hearing lots about the 2002s problems, so wondering if 2001 is actually a better way to go?

Thanks in advance for any input, I've got to make a decision in the next day or two on which way to go..

Reply to
Johnno

Big Shoe

Old body style, old suspension. Old 302 V8, 4 speed tranny, all wheel drive.

New body style, new IRS. New aluminum 4.6 v8, 5spd auto tranny, control trac all wheel drive.

I had a 99 with the v8 before I got my current 2002 with the 6.

Some thoughts.

Suspension on the 2002's is MUCH better. Much better handling and ride.

Inside of 2002 seems wider. Dash seems not so close to you in front seat. Center console is bigger in 2002. Also since 6 disc is in dash it's not filled up with cd changer.

Like having the message center in the speedometer area. Nice square holder in center console instead of mesage center.

pre 2002's have more headroom. Also like location of compass/temp readout in pre 2002's, was viewable to others in the car.

Pre 2002's if you hit mute on stereo the cd player/changer would pause the cd. In 2002's it keeps on playing.

2002's have vents in the center console but no more fan assist. Of course you now have the option of rear heat/ac from the roof.

If I was buying either one I would get an extended warranty from Ford.

Reply to
JaWise

Here's a link with some info on the 2002 that might sway your decision.

Mark McCoy McCoy's Market Bumpus Mills, Tennessee

MMccoy01

Get the '02. About the only problem you see here about '02's is a few have a rear axle whine. Our '02 has not had this problem (25500 miles). Only problem I've had was a ft axle pinnion seal leak. wth

Reply to
wth

Check carefully..... I rarely work on Exs anymore but it was around that time we had Job 1 Explorers and Job2 Exs..... IMHO, the Job 2 models are the superior ones.

Reply to
Jim Warman