Sirius Radio option on 2004 Explorer XLT

Hi Guys,

I'm considering getting Sirius Satelite radio for my 2004 Exploder. It has the "premium" sound system already installed. Has anyone with this stereo gotten a Sirius ststem through the exisiting stereo? I know it has a "satellite" button on the unit. Does it become a receiver with some module in the dash, or is it a separate unit and the button just defeats all other radio/CD functions when pressed.

Oh yeah....either way, what's the price of this option?

Thanks,

Thos.

Reply to
Thos19

I added the Ford Sirius Radio Kit to my Thunderbird (also a 2004 with the "Sat" button). It is a seperate receiver and antenna. It is operated through your regular radio controls. When you press the "Sat" button, it is like changing from AM to FM or CD. The controls now operate the satelite recevier. Go to

and take a lookat the Sirus reciever that works with your head unit (it is a Visteonproduct). The Visteon product description pdf can be downloaded from
(this is for Sirius Radio). Go to
and look at the bottom of the page foradditional information on the Visteon unit (including the operators andinstallation guides). Radiosandmore also sells XM solutions that willwork with your Ford head unit. You could just go aftermarket and repalce everthing. I have done this on one vehcile. And on a third I have an add on unit that goes through an RF modulator. Of the three, I like the Ford radio with the add-on kit the best.

Reply to
Ed White

This is a very spendy option (here in Canada, anyway). It's very intrusive to install, also. The only benefit is that the satellite info and controls are all in the radio with no extra visible additions.

I've installed two on new vehicles.

Reply to
Jim Warman

I had one installed yesterday, cost $99. works great, the satellite controls are on the existing unit if it's "satellite ready".

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Bob