'Smoke' from vents

91 XLT - Wife and daughter report 'smoke' coming from the air vents into the cabin. A white smoke (vs black). No odor...

Google search reveals either heater core or debris in the blower area. Since the smoke is odorless, I'm inclined to think heater core. Coolant level is acceptable.

I'll be driving the Explorer today, but wanted to get some opinions from others....

If it is the heater core, any suggestions making the R&R (especially access to the core) a breeze would be appreciated...

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf

I vote for debris blocking the drain holes. If it was the heater core, there would be an anti-freeze odor. H

Reply to
Hairy

I've seen the same and the first time it caused a great deal of concern. However, after careful study I determined it was "fog," or more precisely water condensation. What you see is the same as you see in a cloud. When the temperature and relative humidity are the same the "fog" will form. If you noticed the stuff disappeared quickly and had no odor. Not to worry, next time tell you wife and daughter the saw a little cloud being created.

Reply to
Bill

I concur with Bill on this one. The phenomena is not limited to Explorers. The BAE-146 passenger airline had a habit of doing this too. If you think your wife and daughter were concerned seeing puffs of white odorless smoke coming from the air vents of your Explorer, imagine a plane full of passengers with the same smoke dumping out from the headliner vents.

Reply to
Glenn - USAEyes.org

With luck perhaps it was just that fog/steam you can get in the right humidity/temp. conditions...was it when a/c was first turned on?

Reply to
Rob

Here's an update...

Drove the Explorer to work this morning. What we are seeing is steam, not smoke. Didn't really get anything till the engine warmed up to operating temperature and I turned up the heat on the control. Was really apparent when I turned on the defroster, I steamed up the window - LOL.

The steam has a 'sweet' smell to it. I'm inclined to believe that it is anti-freeze related....

Still looking for advice on accessing the heater core to R&R..

Looks like I have to go thru the glove compartment???

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Sweet. Yep, you have a coolant leak. My condolences, not fun to fix.

Reply to
Bill

I have to wonder what kind of smoke has no odor.

Even if it is debris that is smoking, it would have a smell. since this is summer time, I have to ask if the a/c or heat is on when this is being noticed.. The only thing that comes to mind is a fog from water/condensate evaporating and being blown through the vents. It is possible that the drain from the core is plugged and not draining out, which can happen.

Reply to
John Riggs

Ooops....replied the same before I read your post.

Reply to
John Riggs

When my wife's 92EB's heater core went it looked like smoke. When mine (91XLT) went I was unable to see where I was going. Had to drive a long way in the winter with the heater off! If there has been a film on your windows lately I would bet on the heater core.

I found it pretty easy to replace the heater core. You just remove the interior panel that is held on by plastic fasteners, and I think maybe there are a couple of screws holding it on too (?). The hard part is getting the old hoses off the heater core inside the engine compartment (passenger side, top, easy to get to). I removed the hose clamps and then jimmied the hoses off with a 3 foot pry bar. The heater core can now be removed by pulling it down and toward you inside the car. You will want some rags under it in case it leaks. I don't recall having to lower the coolant level in the radiator before removing the heater core. About all that is left is replacing the two hoses. I think all the parts cost me about $30 from Auto Zone.

)
Reply to
Ulysses

Hey! Thanks all!

Due to the 'sweet' smell of the 'smoke' (which a lot of you described as a cloud/water vapor), I'm inclined to proceed with a heater core R&R. (Bill, thanks for the description of the removal process). Of course, I'll check out the entire area including drain vents, remove debris, etc.

It was worse when I turned on the defroster during the morning commute, the entire interior of the windshield fogged up. Finished the drive with all windows down and my head hanging out the drivers window to 'see' were I was heading - LOL

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf

Hmmm....sounds like a pinhole leak, which *might* be repairable, but then I've used some sealants in the past and had no problems from that point, however, I'm sure Jim Warman won't care for that suggestion, but some of us is po' boys who'd have to get a raise to join the ranks of the poor and poverty stricken. Now, if you can get the core out and check it, you might be able to repair it fairly easy.

Reply to
John Riggs

I once had a core develop a small leak on an 87 Mustang. I used a tube of something that looked like metallic powder as a fix. It worked for several months. It finally let go like Mount St. Helens one night on a return trip from Home Depot. It felt and looked like I was driving a terrarium.

Reply to
DriveSpy

Sho nuff.... Gained access to the heater core, had a tad bit of moisture/wetness/liquid (antifreeze) in/on the access cover. Pulled the two heater hoses and pulled the heater core.

At $20 for a replacement, ain't even worth screwing around to repair this one.

For future reference, to gain access to the access panel, one needs to pull the four plastic insert fasteners that retain a 'gray fiber' panel underneath the glove box area. Once this is removed, the four bolts that hold this access panel in place are accessible and a few turns with a 10mm socket had the panel removed...

Installation is reverse... Didn't even bother to drain the coolant from the system. Prolly only lost a cup of coolant in the process...

Happy motoring

Rick

Reply to
pray4surf