Some dash lights not working

I posted this question some time back, and got little response. I posted it on another Explorer board, and the only response I got was "GEM module" with no other explanation. So I took it to my favorite mechanic, and asked him to check it out. He called me and said it definitely wasn't that the GEM module, but it would take him a couple of hours to figure it out. I authorized that, and later he told me it was the Dimmer Module. He ordered that and put it in, and indeeed, it fixed it. So, in case anyone else is having the same problem, I'm posting this here.

Original thread:

Nov 17 2005, 7:51 pm

This post is regarding a 96 Sport with a standard AM/FM/Casette stereo system.

The light for "Speed Control" and the button lights on my radio no longer light up when I turn the dash lights on. The radio display doesn't dim when I turn the lights on, either. It's almost like the radio and that Speed Control light aren't getting the signal that the lights are on. I checked fuses, paying particular attention to:

3 Parking lamps 7 Illum. switches 10 EATC system, Rear blower, Speed control, GEM system, Brake interlock, Overhead console, Automatic Ride Control 20 Radio, Power antenna, GEM system, Anti-theft, Cellular phone 29 Audio system

No fuses appear to be blown. I removed the ones listed above to make sure. I examined the rest of them in place, and they looked OK.

I pulled the radio out and checked the electrical connections, and they appear to be properly connected.

The switches on either side of the radio are lit up properly. I haven't seen anything else that isn't working right.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Bacchus1 Nov 28 2005, 10:24 am show options Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer From: "Bacchus1" - Find messages by this author Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:24:47 -0500 Local: Mon, Nov 28 2005 10:24 am Subject: Re: Some dash lights not working Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

I have same problem with my 2000. Also, the first third of my spedometer isnt lit. I was in someone elses explorer yesterday and they had the same sped. light problem. If you solve the problem, please let me know and I will do same.

thanks

Ratbert Nov 28 2005, 9:32 pm show options Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer From: Ratbert - Find messages by this author Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 05:32:02 GMT Local: Mon, Nov 28 2005 9:32 pm Subject: Re: Some dash lights not working Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

Bacchus1 wrote: > I have same problem with my 2000. Also, the first third of my spedometer > isnt lit. I was in someone elses explorer yesterday and they had the same > sped. light problem. If you solve the problem, please let me know and I > will do same.

thanks

I haven't solved the problem yet. I haven't noticed any spedometer lights out, but I'll try to pay special attention to that on my way to work tomorrow.

What I think is strange is that the Speed Control light does come on if my lights are off, but not if the lights are on. Something changes there when the lights get switched on, and that may be the key to solving this problem.

Reply to
Ratbert