Spark plugs and wires

My 98 explorer has almost 100k miles and is going in to the dealership for a recall part install. Since it is going in anyways I asked how much it would cost to replace the plugs and wires, the service advisor said $470.00. He must have heard it in my voice that I would do it myself, because he added "If you put in aftermarket plugs it will probably cause engine trouble".

Is there something special "Resistance" wise with ignition system or is this just crap?

Any comments appreciated!

Reply to
Tech5656

That's bull. The aftermarket plugs and wires work just as good. But even if you put in the Motorcraft plugs and wires, it still should not cost you $470.

Reply to
Mikepier

You didn't say if it's the V6 or V8 engine. Ford's plug wires are pricey, and for some reason more than twice as costly for the V8 than for the V6. A Ford dealer will charge you over $200 for the 8-wire set. I would imagine that they charge around $10 a piece for their super-ultra-sure-fire plugs. Add the hour or so of labor, the coffee and donuts in the waiting room (which will appear as 'shop supplies' or 'disposal fee' on the bill), your local sales tax, and $475 becomes 'reasonable'.

The solution: buy your parts from an independent auto store. The same 8-wire Motorcraft set costs $140 there and they have aftermarket for half that price (no clue about aftermarket quality, but my Motorcraft wires, purchased from a Ford dealer failed in less than 30,000 miles, twice, so there is not much to lose with aftermarket). They will sell you decent platinum plugs for $3-$4 a piece if you don't fall for the quadruple flame tip nonsense. Your trusted neighborhood mechanic should be able to buy parts and complete the job for $250-$275, even if it's the V8 (you may need to get your coffee at the Starbucks across the street, though).

Better yet, do the job yourself. Replacing plugs is not rocket science. Access the ones on the passenger side through the wheel well. Make sure to start them by hand, to avoid cross-threading. Apply a bit of anti-seize to the threads and torque to the manufacturer's specs. No torque wrench? Buy it - a decent one will cost less than an hour of labor at the dealership and serve you for many years. Replace the wires one at a time, keeping the original routing and avoiding mix-ups. Apply a bit of dielectric grease to the contacts on both sides, to prevent moisture trouble.

Good Luck

Reply to
Happy Traveler

good advice.

when should I consider changing my plugs and/or wires?

[...]

stevie

YEs if you install aftermarket plugs it WILL cause a problem. I did it! and then I had to call around to find out what happened! BUT, you can install platinum plugs just not regular ones. The plugs and wires that I bought cost me 47.00 a far cry from 470.00. I did it all myself, but the last plug on the passenger side toward the rear is a BI*CH! You WILL cuss, YOU will bleed, but you will get it done! Because you are cheap! LIKE ME I like to call myself thrifty!

Good Luck Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher1

The OEM platinums are specified for 100,000, and will last that long, so that's what your user manual probably recommends. I would take them out around 50,000, just to make sure I can, because I heard horror stories about removing plugs that were kept for 100,000. 'Reading' the plugs also gives an idea about the health of the engine, and I am a curious guy... Once they are out, it's probably worth spending the $25 on a new set.

The wires, unfortunately, told me themselves when they needed to be replaced. The first time was around 40,000. The second time was around

75,000. If the originals got you to 67,000, you may be on borrowed time. Or perhaps Ford did something to improve their design in later years (as indicated by the $200+ price). BUT: do you even have plug wires? Not sure about Explorers, but sometime around 2000 Ford was switching over to coil-on-plug ignition.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

They don't cost that much, and they're so hard to replace that it doesn't make sense to use anything but platinum plugs.

I always buy used vehicles, and I typically only have them for 100K miles, so if I put platinums in I never have to change them again.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

Happy Traveler, Are the horror stories about the plugs being stuck in the head? That is my fear since they have been in for 100k. That is the reason why I thought about having the dealer put new ones in and just take the ones I bought back. BTW I had bought Autolite Double Platinum plugs (The package says NASCAR officially licensed-So they should be better than OEM to use in my truck )

Thanks for everyone's input Much appreciated!

Reply to
Tech5656

No first hand experience there, luckily. But yes, that's what you can find by searching the archives of a group like this. I am probably going to start a religious war by advising to apply anti-seize compound to plug threads, but that's what I have been doing for two decades and never had a problem. Also, I don't heed the typical plug manufacturer's advice to 'add a half a turn (or whatever they say) after contact', and ALWAYS use a torque wrench, set to the number in the manual (even when working on my lawn mower). And just to make sure, I don't leave plugs in for more than 50,000 miles. Your experience may vary...

fear since they have been in for 100k.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

Use motorcraft plugs. They might cost $8, but how often do you change 'em?

Reply to
Eric F