speedo bouncing 1996 explorer

1996 Explorer Sport 4WD.

I am having an occasional bouncing needle on my speedo, reading below the speed it is supposed to.

I have had the dashboard cluster out of this vehicle before, and I seem to recall the speedo having an electrical connection rather than a cable, but my memory is a lttle fuzzy on this.

Would this be a case of a worn cog someplace, perhaps at the transfer case. The cog in the transfer case looked pretty good when I checked it 50K or so, but it is as old as the car is now.

Any thoughts?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Scrutton

Perhaps unrelated is that cruise control operates in a rather binary fashion now. In that it will accelerate hard for a couple of seconds, then slow down hard for a couple of seconds. Repeat this ad-infinitum. Not as smooth as the cruise used to be. Related????

Paul

Reply to
Paul Scrutton