Squeak at low speed- 2000EB

A squeak is driving me nuts. It is most noticeable when driving in a area where the noise is reflected back, like a parking garage or area with a wall next to the road. The noise appears to be related to the wheels turning (stops when the truck stops); however, it does not appear to be brake related, there is no change in sound as the brakes are applied or released. I heard rumor that the noise is related to seals; how does one check that?

Reply to
Bill

The seals are a known problem. You can't really check them. They can be louder in colder weather. The newer seals are suppose to be better.

Reply to
Mikepier

Hmm. Do you know if this is a warranty type replacement? I believe that Ford replaced them at 30,000 miles, we now have 62,000. I never had seals go bad every 30,000 on any vehicle.

Reply to
Bill

Which seals, exactly, are you refering to? My ST also makes a noise such as the op described.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

I think that would be the front axle seals on the 4-wheel-drive models. Right?

Alan Moorman

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Paul Fix

=================================

Reply to
Alan Moorman

Yes, they are the front axle seals. The noise does not do damage, its more of a nuiscance. But in response to Bill's question, if you already replaced them at

30,000 miles and your truck now has 62,000 miles, I don't think warranty will cover it, unless you have an extended warranty. Interesting, I never heard of the axle seals acting up again after they were already replaced. Question for Bill: when you replaced the seals the first time ,were you getting the same symptoms?
Reply to
Mikepier

Thanks for the replies. Is changing these seals a DIY project, or best left to the dealer?

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

I think you have to remove the entire hub assembly to get at the seal. I let the dealer do it.

Reply to
Mikepier

I had a squeal from the front seals on my 99 when it was new, showed up when it was under 20 degrees.

Dealer replaced em, and they squealed again next time it got cold.

The fix was more grease in the hub assembly. So, if the seals don't appear to be leaking, you might try pulling the hub assembly, cleaning things up, and putting in fresh grease - synthetic grease is required.

Reply to
Ross via CarKB.com

Sorry for the delayed reply, bad sinus infection; antibiotics - "better living through chemistry"

The original replacement under warranty was at 30,796 mile on 8 Aug 03. As the date suggests it wasn't cold out. The recent problem started this fall, first slight then louder. The noise appears to disappear after driving at speed and then returns at neighborhood speeds. The noise is loud enough to make folks notice when I drive by.

Reply to
Bill

The local Ford dealer said they needed to replace the seals - cost around $400.

The local "We Fix Fords Shop" said "$400 for seal replacement is about right. However, we've found that re-greasing the seals (cost $40.00) often cures the problem."

I took the $40 option and the squeak disappeared.

Reply to
Bill